Simplest/First RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
I'm looking to build my first automated RIMS system. I've been an all grain brewer for quite some time, and I'm ready for more control over my mash temperatures, and incorporate RIMS at the same time. What are people's thoughts on the simplest (inexpensive) system? Basically, I just want to control my mash temperature using my existing propane burner. I already have a pump to use for recirculation, already have a 15 gallon kettle for my mash tun. I looked at the tower of power, but the price tag of $1200 for the tower and controller seems excessive. What type of inexpensive controllers are out there that I can just add a temp sensor, a pump, and be done? Thanks all.

Ahhh. That's good to hear. I too was a former 2-banjo burner brewer w/ picnic cooler and have been slowly converting to electric. I made my RIMS tube from pieces and parts mainly from http://stores.ebay.com/Mainland-Valve-and-Fitting-Inc which were really good to work with. Here's my proof-of-concept:

rimzooka_large.jpg

I made a few significant changes since then -- added an air vent, altered wort flow, bought a triclamp potting system for the element -- I'll snap a few pics this afternoon. All said and done I probably have $150 in it including the controller which is a decidedly low tech affair based on a Auber PID. Works a dream though.

Even though I mash in a cooler I never seemed to hit my temps. This gives me lots of options.

Ahhh. That's good to hear. I too was a former 2-banjo burner brewer w/ picnic cooler and have been slowly converting to electric. I made my RIMS tube from pieces and parts mainly from http://stores.ebay.com/Mainland-Valve-and-Fitting-Inc which were really good to work with. Here's my proof-of-concept:

rimzooka_large.jpg

I made a few significant changes since then -- added an air vent, altered wort flow, bought a triclamp potting system for the element -- I'll snap a few pics this afternoon. All said and done I probably have $150 in it including the controller which is a decidedly low tech affair based on a Auber PID. Works a dream though.

Even though I mash in a cooler I never seemed to hit my temps. This gives me lots of options.

Whatever pictures you could snap would be great, thanks! Pictures of the controller would be helpful too. Not looking for anything high tech, so it seems like your setup is probably something I'm leaning towards; a simple RIMS tube and a simple controller to adjust the temp. Thanks again!

can you said, "plastic shoebox from Costco". Im almost embarrassed if it didnt serve me so well. Pictures forthcoming....

I think I've decided I'm going to do a HERMS setup, perhaps similar to theelectricbrewery.com, but I'm trying to find a simple control panel, as opposed to something with a lot of bells and whistles that I don't want to spend $2k on. Anyone have any suggestions on already-built controllers, just something I can control the target temperature, plug in a temp sensor and an electric heater, and that's it? Maybe that's just not something that is available and I'll have to build for myself?

Could you describe with more details - what are you expecting from a control panel/controller?

Very simply, all I want to do is set a temperature for the HLT and that's it. Perhaps also do stepped mash temps also simply by raising the temperature on the controller. Then when boiling, set it to boil (or 212 degrees) and that's it. I can control the pumps myself. Don't need fancy buzzers, timers, key switches, etc. Don't need to integrate the pump switches to the control panel. I can make a simple switch to turn on and off the pumps. Simplicity is mainly what I'm looking for.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Slightly more expensive than I thought they'd be, but still not too bad. Thank you guys!

For simple temperature control I would think you'd be able to go much cheaper. Try looking on youtube for a STC 1000 build. Used more for fermentation but they are rated up to boiling temp I believe and can be built on the cheap.

Sent from my DROID4 using Home Brew mobile app

Alternatively, if you did not want to build it you could try the Johnson Digital Temperature Control its around $80

Sent from my DROID4 using Home Brew mobile app

From my own research, it appears that anyone selling a completed control box is charging an arm and a leg for it.

Using an STC-1000, you could likely build it yourself for $50 or less. STC-1000 is about $20 on Amazon. An SSR to control your element with the heatsink are sold together for about $15-20. Some wire, an enclosure box, and a couple outlets and you're done.

You may already be sold on going electric, and that's fine, but since you mentioned the Tower of Power, I'll throw this out there.

You could control your mash temps for $575, not $1,200. It's still not cheap, but you have the burner, kettle mash tun and pump. All you need is the controller. You don't need the "tower" or its flow meter. I have two TOP controllers running my MLT and HLT and skipped the "tower" portion altogether. Instead, I mounted the controllers to a CRT TV stand and bolted that to my rig. The HLT controller is overkill, but nice overkill. The MLT controller works extremely well.

Like I said, if you've decided on electric, more power to you. But if you want to hang onto your burner, the TOP is a very good option that will hold temps within 0.5 degrees as advertised.

Brew+Rig.jpg

I think I've decided I'm going to do a HERMS setup, perhaps similar to theelectricbrewery.com, but I'm trying to find a simple control panel, as opposed to something with a lot of bells and whistles that I don't want to spend $2k on. Anyone have any suggestions on already-built controllers, just something I can control the target temperature, plug in a temp sensor and an electric heater, and that's it? Maybe that's just not something that is available and I'll have to build for myself?

I built a HERMS and control it with a Johnson A419 controller. I connected the controller to a 1500 watt heating element, bought from homebrewstuff.com. Works like a champ.

1388097950720.jpg

20131227_191906.jpg

I built a HERMS and control it with a Johnson A419 controller. I connected the controller to a 1500 watt heating element, bought from homebrewstuff.com. Works like a champ.

I like this idea. Are you using the temperature sensor that came with the Johnson Controller or did you hook something else up? Do you use this for both the HLT and a second one for boiling?

I like this idea. Are you using the temperature sensor that came with the Johnson Controller or did you hook something else up? Do you use this for both the HLT and a second one for boiling?

Yes, I use the temp sensor that came with the Johnson (that sounded funny). I have a 4 inch weldless thermowell in the bottom of my HLT and the thermometer sensor goes in there.

I only use the Johnson for getting the HERMS up to temp, then increase the temp when I'm ready to sparge. I have a Blichmann Boilermaker for my BK. That one is LPG fed.

1388098161477.jpg

I'm start to get the parts together to build a system close to what you are wanting. Look at Omron PID Controllers. Get a 110v unit with relay output and put a relay to power element on and off. Be sure your RTD is on the inflow before the element so you will be reading the process temp before being heated. I'm using a 5500w element, so 5500w/220v=25amps, so be sure your relay can hand at least 25 amps continuous current.
I'm an industrial electrician so to me this is a pretty basic circuit, if you need any help just let me know and I can draw you out a diagram if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Disregard my info on placing the RTD at the I let, I misread your post. I'm making a heater for a HLT, not RIMS system... Sorry for the confusion

Putting the RTD at the inlet will let me heat the water up faster, but in your case may cause scorching.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

RE: just want to control my mash temperature with RIMS ... or HERMS

Why not do both? Recently built this temperature control of the mash with a modified HERMS approach comprised of an outboard RIMS-tube heater that maintains the temperature. A feature of this system is that the RIMS-tube heater-element is not incorporated into the flow of the wort. Very simple control panel too:
www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-herms-via-outboard-rims-tube-build-458429/

We use a Chin CHiller as a HERMS. We use 2 pumps but have no chance of the wort scorching as it it heated by water. We are in the process of making it automatic with a BCS 462!

Back