using glass carboy for primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
I've always used plastic fermenters and just came up on a good deal on some glass carboys, so I picked up a few. They are 5-gal carboys. My plastic ale pail was 6.5 so I there was always plenty of head room in the pail. However, how should I brew with the 5-gal carboy? How much air room should there be above the wort? Also, do you use a funnel to pour the wort into the carboy? I just want to make sure I don't mess this up.

I wouldnt ferment in a 5gal glass carboy, unless you rig a super blow-off tube. You can however buy 6.5 gallon carboys.

You want that headspace during fermentation because most beers have a head of kruesen that forms and it can clog up your airlock if it gets in there.

EDIT: On the other hand 5 gallon glass carboys work PERFECT for doing up batches of Edworts Apfelwein

Certainly hang on to those 5 gal glass carboys. I have been playing with a grain bag in five gallon/ n00b/ extract system doing 2.5 gallon AG batches. 5 gal carboy will work great as a carboy for those.

You got time to punch out a batch of Apfelwine before I get an illustrated anything in the wiki...

I only use glass carboys and although I have a couple 6.5 gallon I have used 5 for fermentation. Blow off tube is necessary because it's a bit of a squeeze in there but it works fine. You've got the carboys, I say use them.

The five gallon carboys are really more for clearing and conditioning than for primaries but they can be used for this just the same. You're going to need a blow-off tube instead of an airlock though because the headspace in the 5 gal carboy isn't enough to allow for the krausen that forms on top of the fermenting beer. This is an easy thing to do, though. Just get a length of tubing (I can't remember the size off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to go look) and jam it in the neck of the carboy. Stick the other end of the tubing in a bucket of water and that's it. Make sure to check the blow-off bucket often and change the water as needed.

Thanks for the advice. I was told I'd have to use a blow off by my LHBS folks. I've used a blow off before with a Hefe in my plastic fermenter, but never used glass. Seems like it'll be a little extra work since I'd have to use a siphon (which I've never used before), but I'll have to give it a shot.

Ok, so I'll use a blow off. How should I transfer my wort into the glass carboy- funnel from the brewpot? How much head room should I leave in the primary, if I even need to? Any other tips would be great and I look forward to seeing my yeast storm.

I think that you'll be happyer in the long run w/ the glass carboy. I've been using them sence i've started brewing. Just use a blow off tube and you'll be fine! Happy brewing!

I would add a lot of cold water to the glass carboy before you pour the wort in. Thermal shock is a problem with the glass ones, you don’t want to crack it. But yes a big funnel would work just fine. I would spend the extra couple $ and get a nice BIG funnel. You will like it when you have the big pot of wort you are trying to pour. Keep in mind if you have lose hops/grains in it you will need to filter it out some how. (Strainer or cheese cloth over the funnel)

I've used 5 gallon carboys more than a dozen times for primary fermentation and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you hook up a blowoff tube and make sure it's sealed well.

I use 5g for primaries as well but only for my lower gravity beers. I just lose too much beer to the blow-off if I ferment bigger beers in them.

GT

Latest posts

Back