Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricmcam

Reaction score
I received a "True Brew" double IPA kit for Christmas and have never brewed a double IPA before The instructions say to dry hop three days after fermentation is finished, and bottle 7 days later. I usually let my brews stay in primary for about a month before racking. Anyone know why this kit specifies such a short time, and is it important to do so?

I would leave it in the primary for 4 weeks total, with the dryhop added during the last week (week 3). Better yeast cleanup this way... especially for a bigger beer.

In my experience, just about every kit specifies periods of time that are too short. I think they want you to hurry up and finish the kit so you'll buy another. Do what makes sense and works for you. Whenever I brew with a kit, I usually take those instructions and glance at their proposed hop schedule. Then, I crinkle them up and toss 'em in the trash.

I agree with bobbrews. I would definately not follow the instructions they gave you. Leave it in primary per your usual routine (3 - 4 weeks and verify fermentation complete) and dryhop for 5 - 7 days prior to bottling.

Ok, I feel y'all are nuts. A correctly brewed/fermented beer is done when fermentation is completed. Four weeks for primary is ridiculous. An APA/IPA/IIPA should be drank as fresh as possible. Most of us around here who brew that style often are grain to glass in 10-14 days.

Cheers.

In my experience, just about every kit specifies periods of time that are too short. I think they want you to hurry up and finish the kit so you'll buy another. Do what makes sense and works for you. Whenever I brew with a kit, I usually take those instructions and glance at their proposed hop schedule. Then, I crinkle them up and toss 'em in the trash.

I agree with bobbrews. I would definately not follow the instructions they gave you. Leave it in primary per your usual routine (3 - 4 weeks and verify fermentation complete) and dryhop for 5 - 7 days prior to bottling.

I agree with this ^^. Kit instructions are pretty much worthless. Though you could probably do 2 weeks primary then 1 week dry hopping then bottle condition for at least 3 weeks.

Ok, I feel y'all are nuts. A correctly brewed/fermented beer is done when fermentation is completed. Four weeks for primary is ridiculous. An APA/IPA/IIPA should be drank as fresh as possible. Most of us around here who brew that style often are grain to glass in 10-14 days.

Cheers.

This is true only if you are brewing all grain and kegging, which the OP is doing neither. Going from extract to all grain I found that extract takes longer to ferment out and start not tasting green than all grain. I do think that a month in primary is a bit on the long side for most normal gravity beers though.

EDIT: The grain to glass in 10-14 days is what I was talking about here, not the drinking APA/IPA/IIPA fresh. I agree that you can and will lose hop presence if you age these beers too long.

Cheers.

I prefer to drink these as fresh as possible as well. My most recent IPA (OG 1.066) was in the primary for 9 days with one of those days a cold crash before secondary. Then in the secondary for 5 days with one of those days a cold crash to drop all the hops out. Bottled and ready 2-3 weeks later. Obviously a bigger beer would take a longer, but 4 weeks is a quite long for an IPA to me. With healthy adequate yeast counts at pitching and temperature control a batch really doesn't need to sit in the primary so long, and thus avoid losing some hop flavor and aroma.

Cheers.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone accused me of being nuts! :ban: However, I do agree with you, trent, (not that I'm nuts) in that an IPA should be drank fresh. I got so caught up in discrediting kit instructions in general that I forgot we were talking about a IIPA.

Though, I wonder just how much is lost because of an extra week or two. Seriously, I don't know. Just how much would flavor suffer if I waited an extra week or two to drink it? I mean, we're not talking about aging it for a couple months here.

You're not talking about aging it for a couple months, exactly. This is solely about conditioning for a week or two more at best to further refine flavor, and create a sense of quality/smoothness in order to rid any greenness or hotness.

When people say, "Best to drink IPAs fresh", it's more about drinking a fresh bottle of well-made IPA. It should have nothing to do with grain to glass in 1, 2, 3, or 4 weeks... this is a normal brewing & conditioning time frame. I am one to believe that if you skip the proper amount of conditioning time for yeast clean-up, then you're simply drinking a fresh bottle of mediocre-made IPA by comparison. Patience is a virtue.

Back