need some help with Star Anise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bier4me

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas to mellow out the licorice flavor from star anise? I brewed 6 days ago and just took a sample, the licorice flavor is still really strong. I added five stars with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Bottle conditioning? Flavors tend to mellow out. Put the beers in a dark corner and try again in 6 months. Or next winter.

I made a couple of batches with brewer's licorice which tasted very strong but mellowed out pretty quickly.

Anise takes a while to mellow out. Anyone remember Stone's Belgo-Anise RIS that came out not last year, but the year before? Anise overload. Just opened up the second bomber I bought summer 2011 about a month ago, and while it was still noticeable, it was finally to the point where it was enjoyable.

Also, five full stars is a lot. I don't think I've ever added one full star the few times I've used it. I'd agree that blending by this point will probably be your best bet if the flavor is overpowering.

Back