whats better fridge or freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
I want to buy a fridge or freezer to control temps, and of corse a controller. I'm not sure which one is better. I want to be able to place two 6.5 gal. carboys inside and am not sure what style or size device would be best.

go for a chest freezer. i've had a fridge for 4 years, and regretted that decision from the start. the freezer has a lot more floor space. i can get 3 kegs in my kegerator. for the same price, i could have bought a freezer that could hold those 3 kegs while cold-crashing 2 fermenters for the same price.

Get the freezer. GE has a chest freezer that will fit two carboys in. I bought it on sale for $158.
As for the temp control take a look at Control Products two stage controller. It has two relays one. You can use one for cooling and one for heating. You do have to do some wiring to configure it but its not hard if you have the head for it.
I am currently conditioning 108 bottles of beer in my freezer using my controller to keep temp at 70.
Here are some pics of the controller

image-3468068401.jpg

image-1887765034.jpg

image-898276317.jpg

Slainte

I went with a fridge for lagering/cold conditioning as I'm only 5'6" @ 48 years young and picking up a full carboy out of chest freezer over the next several years not a prospect I was looking at + the fridge was a DOA find that just needed a 3 n1 to get running (Whirlpool gold 21cuft) That is a nice controller But not worth the price IMHO

Fridge is better in that it is usually self defrost and doesn't trap moisture mold and nasties like a keeZer . Freezers come in bigger sizes and are perhaps cheaper to run so they are better in some aspects.

Back