VA Dominion cup results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
I entered the Dominion cup this year as my first HB comp. It was held on Aug. 13. The web site said they would have the ballets back a month after the competition.
I'm trying to figure out why it's taking so long, I realize it's just a month now but I'm dying over here and it seems reasonable for 500 score sheets to be processed in 30 days no?. Has anyone gotten there scores back yet?

Yeah, still nothin. I guess I should RDWHAHB but I wish I had something to go on. I entered a doppel bock so it's been 10 months now of waiting. I'm ready for this to be over.

Have not received mine back either. It was my first time ever placing in a competition (took a 2nd for my Kolsch), so I'm more impatient then usual to receive my scoresheets. I emailed them about a week ago to see if they had an ETA, but they didn't respond...

roxbob said:
6 weeks out, still no love here. Anyone else get theirs?

Mail hasn't come yet but, each day has been a disappointment for the past 2 weeks. I don't imagine they do them in order, but I was entered towards the back of the pack in the low 400's out of i think 518 entries.

I still haven't heard anything from them.
Disappointing. Last year, it was right at a month out I got them in the mail.

It's also not a good sign that they're not responding to inquiries at all, either by email or on their Facebook page. That suggests to me that they're not close to sending them out. I wonder what the issue is?

roxbob said:
It's also not a good sign that they're not responding to inquiries at all, either by email or on their Facebook page. That suggests to me that they're not close to sending them out. I wonder what the issue is?

I know. Who knows. Remind me of another thread I read about a comp in MD ( I think). That was a horror show.

Btw... No

I asked the owner of Original Gravity (a LHBS in Richmond and a dropoff location for the competition) if he knew anything about it a week and a half ago. He told me that the competition coordinator moved (to South Carolina if I remember correctly) two or three days after the competition. I was thinking about attending the next James Rivers Homebrewers meeting, which is supposed to be on the second Wednesday of the month, if I don't hear anything by then. At this point, though, I haven't gotten my results or a response to an email either.

Finally got mine yesterday, too. My best score ever - a 38 for my Kolsch (actually should have been a 39, one of the judges made a mistake adding their sheet), good enough for a 2nd place medal and a bag of random swag from their sponsors. Worth the wait, I guess!

Huh? So you were in the table 3 group. From the website:

Table 3 - American Light (28 Entries)

I entered a beer in BJCP category 6A, cream ale. My cover sheet says 28 entries so, I'm assuming it was in this table.

My sheet also says it scored a 41 (I know-right?). Now the 1 at the table was American light lager and 2 and 3 were kölch.

How does that work... It's my first comp and I looked on the Dominion cup website to see how the table/flight thing works but I'm stumped.

BTW- I'm thrilled with my scores I was just trying to figure out how they do this. Anybody know?

Check out the BJCP guidelines for "mini Best of Show" procedures: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf
Looks like they consolidated some categories (which is why Kolsch and Cream Ale were in American Light), advanced some number from the 28 entries to the mini BOS, and did the placements from there. Scores are thrown out once a beer reaches the mini BOS, all those beers are judged relative to each other to determine the awards.

Check out the BJCP guidelines for "mini Best of Show" procedures: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf
Looks like they consolidated some categories (which is why Kolsch and Cream Ale were in American Light), advanced some number from the 28 entries to the mini BOS, and did the placements from there. Scores are thrown out once a beer reaches the mini BOS, all those beers are judged relative to each other to determine the awards.

Yep, this is exactly how it was organized. Most tables had 5 or 6 judges, and after the end of the scoring round, they advanced the top beers by score to the mini-BOS. This was anywhere from 4-6 beers at the table, and then these were judged relative to each other to determine final placings.

I was very pleased with the beers I entered: got a bronze in the Fruit/Spice category with a Rosemary Saison, and an Honorable Mention in the American IPA.

Here are some photos I took at the event:

http://photobucket.com/JRHBDomCup2012

If you're in the area and would like to see how a well-organized competition is run, I would recommend volunteering next year. It was a great time!

Thanks for the link... Very informative.

So my scoresheet says prize awarded "h.m."

Does the mean I made it to the mini BOS and lost out there or does that mean it nearly made it to the mini BOS? Realizing of corse that BOS in this sense
is to determine winners within the group at table three including American lagers, kölsch, cream Ales and the like.

Back