Citrus Wheat OG too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
so I just brewed a citrus wheat last night nd when I took the original gravity after diluting to 5 gallons it was about 1.027.
Fermentables are:

6 lb Wheat LME
1 lb Wheat DME

is it possible the low OG might be due to not mixing well and could this affect my fermentation?
Also if this is due to low level of sugars etc, could adding a little sugar into the fermenter <24 hours into the ferment work to raise final alcohol %?

Thanks in advance.

Did you give it a vigorous stir before taking the gravity sample? It's probably due to non-uniform mixing. Fermentation is a violent, churning process... it'll mix it up just fine.

When I used to do extract with a top-up or split-boil I would take an electric mixer to it. Aerates and mixes well.

I have a feeling that might be it. My mixing this batch was a little slower than previous times. I have a feeling that also might be why my yeast (WLP380) is taking a little longer to really get going.

Would opening the container back up and mixing thoroughly roughly 24 hours into fermentation do any kind of harm? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks again.

Leave it alone. Like I said it will stir things up just fine. And it'll be mostly done 24 hours after visible signs of fermentation, anyway ;)

Hey everyone,
so I just brewed a citrus wheat last night nd when I took the original gravity after diluting to 5 gallons it was about 1.027.
Fermentables are:

6 lb Wheat LME
1 lb Wheat DME

is it possible the low OG might be due to not mixing well and could this affect my fermentation?
Also if this is due to low level of sugars etc, could adding a little sugar into the fermenter <24 hours into the ferment work to raise final alcohol %?

Thanks in advance.

It's very, very unlikely that you have low sugar levels as long as your volumes are correct. That's the beauty of using extracts. The sugar is already there (your not converting the starches to sugars). As long as you're sure you put all the LME/DME in and you're sure you used the correct amount of water, your OG will be what you planned.

Latest posts

Back