Firefly fans? I want to make Mudders Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
Fans of the show Firefly will recognize a fictional brew called Mudders Milk, described as "all the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma's best turkey dinner, plus 15 percent alcohol."

I'm thinking the unholy love child of hefeweizen and a cream stout to give it a thick and milky flavor, maybe topped up with brandy if I really wanted to hit 15%. Brew them separate then blend or try to hit them both at once? :rockin:

I'd go with everclear for bumping alcohol content. I am not sure how the Brandy flavor would change the beer. Everclear is a bit safer as it adds no flavor. I use it to fortify my port wines at a ratio of 1 pint per 3 gallons.

Here a recipe I found. I think you might want to try a glass first.

Mudder's Milk

Nutrition Info
Calories: 482.9
Fat: 7.2g
Carbohydrates: 25.3g
Protein: 35.1g
Ingredients

1 litre (1 quart) soy milk, plain
360ml (12 oz) stout such as Guinness, or other dark, full bodied beer
64g (1/2 cup) wheat germ
112g (1/2 cup) brewers yeast
180ml (6 oz) grain alcohol
or vodka to taste
Directions

Mix the soy milk, stout beer, wheat germ and brewers yeast in a 2 litre/quart pitcher, stirring well. Chill before serving. Now, either add the grain alcohol to the whole batch to achieve the 15% alcohol that Jayne mentions or mix the "milk" with vodka to taste. Serve in rustic pottery mugs and get ready to sing "The Hero of Canton"!

Serving Size: 2-3 (3 listed)

Number of Servings: 3

I guess everclear would be the way to go, but I'm not sure I'd actually want it at 15% just to fit the quote. It might be undrinkable.

Here a recipe I found. I think you might want to try a glass first.

Mudder's Milk

Nutrition Info
Calories: 482.9
Fat: 7.2g
Carbohydrates: 25.3g
Protein: 35.1g
Ingredients

1 litre (1 quart) soy milk, plain
360ml (12 oz) stout such as Guinness, or other dark, full bodied beer
64g (1/2 cup) wheat germ
112g (1/2 cup) brewers yeast
180ml (6 oz) grain alcohol
or vodka to taste
Directions

Mix the soy milk, stout beer, wheat germ and brewers yeast in a 2 litre/quart pitcher, stirring well. Chill before serving. Now, either add the grain alcohol to the whole batch to achieve the 15% alcohol that Jayne mentions or mix the "milk" with vodka to taste. Serve in rustic pottery mugs and get ready to sing "The Hero of Canton"!

Serving Size: 2-3 (3 listed)

Number of Servings: 3

That recipe wrecks my calm...

If I made this and offered to mail a sixer to Nathon Fillion and Adam Baldwin, think they'd drink it or assume some crazed stalker fan was trying to poison them?

Fizzycist said:
If I made this and offered to mail a sixer to Nathon Fillion and Adam Baldwin, think they'd drink it or assume some crazed stalker fan was trying to poison them?

What you have their addresses?

I know this is an old topic but I would go for an oatmeal/sweet RIS brewed with lots of oatmeal and lactose. Maybe some honey to boost the alcohol. :)

I just put together a recipe for Mudder's Milk this evening, before I looked and found this thread!

I've got a 14-grain-pound oatmeal stout, mixed with 4.5 pounds of dark brown sugar and honey in a small beer, pitched under some high-gravity ale yeast. BeerSmith thinks this will yield 15.1% ABV if I do it right.

Obviously I haven't tried making it yet, it's possible my brew setup isn't capable of handling this much grain. But if I do, and it works, I'll happily post the recipe for other lunatics to try it themselves.

Yeah Mudders Milk is the name I have been using for my oatmeal mocha stout for a few years. Such a great name for a thick tasty beer. Incidentally I use Firefly related names for probably 75% of my recipes.

WHAAAAAAAT? Wouldn't that curdle in the beer? Damn, I *might* just have to add some of that, it would certainly give it the cloudy, creamy color I want it to have...

Yeah Mudders Milk is the name I have been using for my oatmeal mocha stout for a few years. Such a great name for a thick tasty beer. Incidentally I use Firefly related names for probably 75% of my recipes.

My wife named the Wit I made for her Washburn's Witbier. I added the tagline "I am a leaf on the Wit, watch how I pour."

I managed to find the label.

Wash.jpg

A local brewery here in NC, Fullsteam, makes a beer called Working Man's Lunch that uses a chocolate stout/brown ale malt base with Weihenstephan yeast. http://www.fullsteam.ag/beer/workers-comp/

It's quite tasty with both chocolate stout and hefe banana character. The imperial version is 8.5% abv and tastes even better. I say try your original idea, bump the gravity a bit and then supplement with bourbon for any extra alcohol desired.

Funny thing is, from what I gleaned from the episode, the beverage was perceived by everyone as being unanimously foul (except Jayne). Nor was there really any mention of milk being used at all since it was more of a play on words, not literal. Anyhow since there's really not much to go on in the way of a description I guess it's open to interpretation. With all the talking afterwards about it being akin to what was served to Egyptian slaves I imagined something closer to a really boozy grainy beverage more on par with corn/barley/sorgum/oat/wheat/whatever stew that had been fermented. I seem recall one of the characters calling it "liquid bread". Also it wasn't on tap and the bottles might not have had much pressure, so maybe something more like a really raw still-fermenting high ABV drink of mash-like consistency? It was a brew consumed heavily by slaves that shoveled mud every day of their lives, can't say sophisticated methods of brewing come to mind.

Might be fun to whip up a thick mash and add a ton of malt and honey and toss in some active champagne yeast, watch the gravity until its at or near the abv and drink it raw, pulpy, and mildly fizzy. Or while it's still fermenting and not at the target ABV you could put it in a plastic soda bottle and let it get a little dissolved CO2 for a frothier time. Would be a crazy experience, it would definitely still have lots of sugars/carbs/protein and get you thrashed.

I think mudders milk would taste like a Goram Fay-fay duh pee-yen!

(like a damn a babboon's ass-crack)

Hopefully die hard fans will get that

I just put together a recipe for Mudder's Milk this evening, before I looked and found this thread!

I've got a 14-grain-pound oatmeal stout, mixed with 4.5 pounds of dark brown sugar and honey in a small beer, pitched under some high-gravity ale yeast. BeerSmith thinks this will yield 15.1% ABV if I do it right.

Obviously I haven't tried making it yet, it's possible my brew setup isn't capable of handling this much grain. But if I do, and it works, I'll happily post the recipe for other lunatics to try it themselves.

You've got my interest. Have you tried this yet? If so, How'd it come out?

Came across this because I'm trying to put together an Imperial Milk Stout recipe to call "Mudder's Milk Stout". I think a milk stout is the way to go, since the historical background for milk stouts was a lunchtime drink for british laborers in the 1800s of stout mixed with milk for energy and nutrition. But then again, there's probably a lot wrong with me.

Mudders Milk (The Return of Jayne special edition)

Tell me what ya'll think!

Taste Notes: Ferment for 4-6 weeks then rack onto smoked pecan (1-2 weeks) and 1/8 kentucky whiskey. Bottle using date syrup or honey (light carb).

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Southern Grits (1.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 7.4 %
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 55.6 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.4 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %
1 lbs Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.7 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.7 %
8.0 oz Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.9 %
4.00 lb Quaker oats (Mash 60.0 mins) Other 10 -
2.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 11 27.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 12 14.2 IBUs
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] - Boil 6.0 min Hop 13 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) [124.21 ml] Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 15 -
0.50 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Primary 3.0 days) Other 16 -
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 17 3.7 %
1 lbs Sorghum syrup (Molasses) (80.0 SRM) Sugar 18 3.7 %
.5lbs Lactose Sugar

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.143 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 16.1 %
Bitterness: 45.6 IBUs
Est Color: 63.7 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.163 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 20.2 %
Calories: 610.8 kcal/12oz
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Sparge Water: -0.95 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Total Grain Weight: 27 lbs
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 35.25 qt of water at 165.2 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 17.50 qt of water at 205.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with -0.95 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 4.08 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Three Stage
Volumes of CO2: 2.0
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4.08 oz Date Syrup
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Date syrup http://www.ohnuts.com/buy.cfm/passo...60SMOl0De1J-j7tEGSXJvFmjfqdlSFwI6AaAlWr8P8HAQ

Did you really get from 1.163 down to 1.015 with Trappist High Gravity? What size was the starter? Is that yeast even tolerant to 20% abv?

I haven't made it yet. 20% is an est. based on a brew calculator. I expect the yeast to crap out around 11% or 12% leaving me with the whiskey to fortify it up to 15%. I thought, being as this seems to be the only true description includes a meal worth of sugar,protein, and grain +15% alcohol, I would try to adhere to these guidelines. Originally, I had planned on using High Gravity white lab and high gravity trappist yeast. I decided to go with just the trappist high gravity yeast and the edition on yeast nutrient. All the other grains selected are kind of my attempt to make this big beer my own. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back