Best source for stainless camlock dissconnects>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at the proflowdynamics stainless cam locks. Are people gettings these through them or someone else?

That's where I got mine. Great prices, fast shipping.

Same here, I've bought a lot of things from Bargain Fittings, and they are a great company, but they seemed to be always out of stock on the camlocks. So, straight from Proflowdynamics they came. Went fast and smooth. Couldn't be happier.

I bought them from proflowdynamics, can't complain, got them fast and prices/shipping was fair. Would have bought them from one of the HBT-supporting vendors (Bargain Fittings or KegCowboy), but both happened to be out of stock at that time. Looked like BF and KC were marginally cheaper, it wasn't a huge amount though.

I emailed Bargainfittings as I have heard so many good reviews and am already planning other items from them but they replied that they are Snaplock brand. Are the ones from proflowdynamics Snaplock brand or proflow?

Thanks- I will get them from BF. Any advice on which style for the female? I read their suggestion but would like to know if one style has more constriction than the others. The one with the built in hose barb looks the best unless it has some unseen restriction point. Anyone seen the styles side by side?

Bobby_M has some great videos up on the camlocks and his concerns about the potential for restriction with the smaller-ID hose barbs. He recommends getting the female-thread connectors and grinding down the threads, as they have a larger ID. Me, I bought the hose barbs and if there's a flow restriction, it's hard for me to notice it; liquid seems to go through the system with plenty of speed. If I think of it, I should set up a simple test and see what kind of GPM I'm getting out of the system as-is - I've absolutely no doubts that it's plenty fast for cooling purposes.

EDIT: Important with the camlocks, the o-rings that come preinstalled are shiiiite. They absolutely reek of petroleum byproducts (people have boiled them in water to test, and the stench comes through in the water). Buy a 25-pack of size 210 food-grade silicone o-rings from oringsandmore.com. $3.40 to buy the pack and about $2 to ship. They also make the camlocks a bit easier to operate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to mention Bobby's video but I'm on my phone.

I just slip my silicone hosing right onto the camlocks threads, no issues so far. I was contemplating the street elbow option but didn't want to spend the extra cash.

Also BF also has the o-rings on his site. I just got them from him when I made my purchase.

Thanks for the video. I thought in my research I had read that somewhere just couldn't find it again. Reading under the camlocks on BF website I notice they say that now all female camlocks come with food grade silicone o-rings. Are these OK or are these still the ones people don't like?

Sounds like BF has already swapped in the right ones. Might just be the ones from PFD that have the nasty ones (they aren't really advertised as being for brewing or beverage purposes on PFD).

Same here, I've bought a lot of things from Bargain Fittings, and they are a great company, but they seemed to be always out of stock on the camlocks. So, straight from Proflowdynamics they came. Went fast and smooth. Couldn't be happier.

Bargain Fittings now lists number of pieces in stock for each item when you choose one from their catalog. Every single time i have ordered from them it shipped same day. Last order was place on a Tuesday around 11:30 CST and I received it via USPS Thursday in the Chicago area.

Sounds like BF has already swapped in the right ones. Might just be the ones from PFD that have the nasty ones (they aren't really advertised as being for brewing or beverage purposes on PFD).

BF ship the silicon o-rings packaged separate as the female CL's come with the rubber o-rings installed. You need to do the physical swap.

BF ship the silicon o-rings packaged separate as the female CL's come with the rubber o-rings installed. You need to do the physical swap.

I don't know when they changed this, but it does say on the BargainFittings website "NEW! ALL FEMALE CAMLOCKS WILL BE SHIPPED A FOOD GRADE SILICONE O-RING."

I just received an order from them yesterday and did not see a separate O-ring. Are they pre-installing this?

Anyone know which o-ring to get to replace these?

1/4 NPT - 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD - Fits a 1/4" NPS locknut, 1/4" NPT nipple AND also fits around 1/2" OD tubes and stainless pickup tubes sold on the site.

3/8" Tube - 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD - Fits a 3/8" OD tube.

3/8 NPT - 5/8" ID x 13/16" OD - Fits a 3/8" NPS locknut, 3/8" NPT nipple / male thread.

1/2 NPT - 13/16" ID x 1 1/16" OD - Fits our 1/2" NPT weldlesss bulkhead fittings.

1" NPT - 1 3/16" ID x 1 7/16" OD - Fits our 1" NPS locknuts or will fit over a 1" NPT male thread.

I don't know when they changed this, but it does say on the BargainFittings website "NEW! ALL FEMALE CAMLOCKS WILL BE SHIPPED A FOOD GRADE SILICONE O-RING."

I just received an order from them yesterday and did not see a separate O-ring. Are they pre-installing this?

I would send an email to BF about not getting the silicon o-rings. My last order was missing (2) pieces of 1 item and the missing parts were shipped same day. I ordered several female CL and o-rings were in a separate plastic bag among all the other parts I did need to remove all the rubber o-rings currently installed. The rubber rings look like they might fitl in a female garden hose connector.

The last set of CL i had received from BF already had the silicone o rings installed so the extra ones i ordered are back ups.

1964-chiller.jpg

Thats the one that comes with them but according to Bobby's videos the orange ones work too.

I personally like the gaskets, because for me they create a much tight fit. The CL are harder to squeeze together.

Thats the one that comes with them but according to Bobby's videos the orange ones work too.

I personally like the gaskets, because for me they create a much tight fit. The CL are harder to squeeze together.

I have brewed with mine twice but don't have any finished beer through them yet. Off flavors from the stock gasket was the concern. Do you notice any?

I didn't notice any off flavors. I use the silicone gaskets. I have some of the orange o rings too but haven't seen the need to switch. Like I said I like the tight fit, ;) of the gaskets!

When I ordered the silicone replacement gaskets directly from ProFlow they came in a separate bag and were black. They looked similar to the stock gasket, until you looked at them side by side. It was clear they were not made from the same material.

When I ordered the silicone replacement gaskets directly from ProFlow they came in a separate bag and were black. They looked similar to the stock gasket, until you looked at them side by side. It was clear they were not made from the same material.

Ah, we are not comparing apples to apples since I bought my CL's at BargainFittngs and they came with the stock rubber gaskets. I wasn't aware ProFlow sold the silicon gaskets. That's a good find!

Ah, we are not comparing apples to apples since I bought my CL's at BargainFittngs and they came with the stock rubber gaskets. I wasn't aware ProFlow sold the silicon gaskets. That's a good find!

The first batch of CL's that i got were rubber and I replaced those. The second was silicone.

my black gaskets smell an awful lot like rubber. Do you think yours are silicon?

I know the last CL's I got were silicone.

Did anyone make a batch with the rubber ones? Did you notice any off flavors if so?

I brewed a batch with the rubber gaskets on Saturday and I haven't noticed any rubbery smell or taste as of yet. Wort samples are fine - it's a pale ale.

Did anyone make a batch with the rubber ones? Did you notice any off flavors if so?

I know someone boiled the rubber ones in water and noticed a flavor and aroma from them. I didn't take that chance and just went right to the silicone. I haven't noticed anything yet, i made an IPA.

well my first batch brewed on Sunday January 29th used the black rubber ones that came from Proflow.. I have since ordered up from www.oringsandmore.com #210 red silicone orings. it was less than $6 including shipping for a 25 pack.

on thurs I'll be taking a gravity reading and again on sunday if they are the same I'll keg my beer.

I hope to have no off flavors in my very first beer.

-=Jason=-

Back