Plastic primary - leftover odor / taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I just read the thread about leaving a batch in a plastic primary which had some nice info in it, and I had a thought. Do the buckets keep the odor after a batch? I only did one batch in a bucket (the others have been in a Better Bottle) and I noticed a significant leftover odor. I did my best to clean it, but the odor remained.

Is that normal or maybe is my bucket not high enough grade? Does this affect the beer taste?

I assume this isn't really an issue based on how many experts here use a bucket, but I wasn't sure if it was normal or if maybe my bucket was poor quality.

Buckets can take on odor and stain. Try saniclean from 5-star chemicals. I've had good luck getting the odor removed with that (not so much stains).

I've never noticed any bad flavors as a result of this, but it could affect flavor, I suppose. The effect would likely be minimal and how would you know if a flavor is from the current batch or leftover flavor from a previous one unless one of your previous batches had a real unusual ingredient?

I just brewed a very strong Christmas ale with a lot of spices in it (so good!). However, it left my primary with a very strong smell. While I soaked it with SanStar after the fermentation and before my next batch, it still has a strong smell.

Sampled the oatmeal stout that went into it and it had a slight spiced smell but the beer itself was stronger. I am sure if I brewed a mild or something it might have been more pronounced

I've never had a problem with odors, but I do have three fermenters and rarely use more than one at a time. I bleach them out after making wine or cider.

I ferment solely in plastic buckets. The answer to the OP is.....NO. The bucket itself will become stained and have an odor of hops, but so does beer. I don't worry about it.

My bucket doesn't have much of a smell at all - maybe it's because I always give it an overnight oxiclean soak and then soak it in starsan too.

Would an overnight soak in bleach work, followed by a water soak?

Would an overnight soak in bleach work, followed by a water soak?

Try it out. I use oxyclean and it usually doesn't have much smell after that. It never seems to impart a flavor in my next beer so I don't worry about it.

To follow up my post regarding my situation, the reason I think I had a stronger aroma transfer was because I moved my christmas ale from the primary fermenter, gave it a was and sanitized it, then put my beer into it. So it had air for a matter of minutes. That might have helped.

Latest posts

Back