Your top 3 beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I was at a local brew store buying a Chimay sample pack, and the lady behind the counter said, "Is that any good? I've heard it's the best beer in the world."

So it got me thinking... what do the folks here think the best beer is? Since it's so hard to pick just one.... let's do a top 3! I saw some article about the best beers, but noticed that some here thought it was a bit biased toward stouts. I didn't see, however, anyone ask the question.

I am a hophead so this is a pretty narrow view but I really like the Mendicino - Imperial IPA, Bells 2 hearted, Surly Furious and Lake Superior Messabi Red

1) Fuller's 1845 :rockin:
2) Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (any year)
3) My beer :ban:
4) Big Sky Brewing Moose Drool (just in case my #3 is considered a cop-out)

1) sam adams double bock, my new favorite off the month

2) sam smiths oatmeal stout

3) moose drool is a regular too, just had one at sanfords on monday. mmmmm.

Westvleteren 12 preferably 3yrs old or older:rockin:

All the others depends on my mood at the time, but my fav.Hoppy beers
Hopslam
Bigfoot

Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Oaked Arrogant Bastard (at Portland's Holiday Ale Fest they had a bourbon barrel version of this that may have been the best beer I've ever had)
Full Sail Black Gold

Besides My Beer:
Troegs Oatmeal Stout (Don't think its made any longer)
Neuschwansteiner Bavarian Lager
Sam Adams Oktoberfest

Panil
Oude Beersel Gueze
Augestiner Helles

Those are the first three that pop into my mind. Drinking is completely situational for me though. I would need a list of 50 or so to get my favorites in. Really it is a tough thing to say. Do you want my favorite three, the three I think are best executed, the three best experience beers, the three biggest impact beers, the most elegant, the best for drinking with friends, the best in summer, the best in fall, the best in spring, the best in winter, the best when I am thirsty, the best at the end of a night..... my list goes on and on and on.

By now, I am thinking:

Orval
Houblon Chouffe
and Acme Pale ale.

Pliny the Elder
Bell's Expedition Stout
Chimay Blue

(I want to put Bell's Two Hearted in there somewhere, but I felt it a little heavy-handed towards Bell's, so I opted out.)

1) Pliny the Elder
2) Deschutes Black Butte Porter
3) Spaten Oktoberfest

Tomorrow that list will be different. Hell, tonight that list will be different! Like Kabouter, the tastes change with the mood, season, food.... Favorite beer is determined by the moment.

Recently, Abyss, Pliny and I love SN Celebration Ale. I've had all the Westys and they are damn good too! I could go on for a while. Would need some categories like regular drinkers, seasonals and specialty beers.

-Aaron

1. Adnams Broadside
2. Chimay Blue
3. Tommy Knocker Pick Axe Pale Ale (this one I can drink anytime...the other two are savored for obvious reasons...)

1. Dogfish Head 60 (1st "beer" I ever really liked)
2. Great Lakes Dortmunder
3. Brewer's Best Nut Brown Ale (in my bucket waiting to be "my" first beer)

• Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
  • Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
  • Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Didn't rank them as this list is interchangable. Also should mention: Anchor, Stone, and Alesmith. Oh, and my home brew! :D

- Dogfish Head 90 min IPA
- Arrogant Bastard (regular or oaked)
- Yards Brawler (mild)

1. Southern Tier Imperial Pumpking
2. Founders Breakfast Stout
3. Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Still need to try Pliny, Dark Lord, and The Abyss, and Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout as I'm sure those would be in my top 5.

My top three would probably look like this:

1. Duvel
2. Dogfish Head 60
3. Chimay Red/White/Blue, depending on my mood.

I really haven't tried enough to even think about proclaiming the best beers, but here are the best beers I've had thus far:

1. Old Rasputin
2. Bell's Two-Hearted
3. Founder's Breakfast Stout

Back