McNeill's ESB and Deadhorse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Glibbidy sent these well-travelled bottles my way (Thanks!)

ESB:
This is a pretty complex brew: slightly cloudy amber color, nice head & carbonation.
Not too much hop aroma but a very nice hop flavor (EKG?) followed by a very sweet malty finish--typical ESB maltiness on steroids. I think this ESB has a high amount of flavor hops but is fairly modest on the bitterness--not like anything I've ever had befor, really. One 22ozer was very nice, but I don't think I could drink a lot of these due to the sweetness and heavy mouthfeel.

Deadhorse IPA:
I really liked this: a nice change of pace from typical American IPAs which are about the hops and only the hops.
Orange amber color, plenty of well-retained head: carbonation was about perfect. Earthy, woody hops aroma and flavor up front. Not very bitter by American IPA standards. Slightly heavy mouthfeel, nice touch of maltiness in the finish, a bit on the nutty side (maybe from the yeast? Not sure about that--I'm sure this is *not* made with a neutral 1056-type yeast).

Some would call this IPA whimpy but I really like it--very English in style.

Glibbity--do you know what yeasts are used in these beers?

glibbidy said:
Wyeast 1056 for a nice clean beer

Are you saying that's what McNeill's uses? That would really surprise me--tastes more like an English Ale yeast to me.

cweston said:
Are you saying that's what McNeill's uses? That would really surprise me--tastes more like an English Ale yeast to me.

Yup, straight across the board for every beer Ray makes. He is kind enough to let me harvest what I need for some of my beers.

cweston said:
Glibbidy sent these well-travelled bottles my way (Thanks!)

ESB:
This is a pretty complex brew: slightly cloudy amber color, nice head & carbonation.
Not too much hop aroma but a very nice hop flavor (EKG?) followed by a very sweet malty finish--typical ESB maltiness on steroids. I think this ESB has a high amount of flavor hops but is fairly modest on the bitterness--not like anything I've ever had befor, really. One 22ozer was very nice, but I don't think I could drink a lot of these due to the sweetness and heavy mouthfeel.

Deadhorse IPA:
I really liked this: a nice change of pace from typical American IPAs which are about the hops and only the hops.
Orange amber color, plenty of well-retained head: carbonation was about perfect. Earthy, woody hops aroma and flavor up front. Not very bitter by American IPA standards. Slightly heavy mouthfeel, nice touch of maltiness in the finish, a bit on the nutty side (maybe from the yeast? Not sure about that--I'm sure this is *not* made with a neutral 1056-type yeast).

Some would call this IPA whimpy but I really like it--very English in style.

Glibbity--do you know what yeasts are used in these beers?

Cask conditioned McNeils ESB is probably my favorite beer in the world. Actually, most everything I've ever had from him has been good.

Back