Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aymDrt9.jpg

Just opened the first bottle of our mead this afternoon. Simple beginner recipe from Schramm's Compleat Mead book. Aged about 10 months...still a little harsh, so probably needs some more time. We didn't take a specific gravity at the beginning so no idea how alcoholic it is, but I can tell you I'm buzzed from this first glass!

And about the bride/groom champagne glasses - we recently got engaged and have decided to make a whole bunch of mead for the wedding, so these glasses seemed fitting!

This is the beginning of my first try. 1 day in. 15lbs honey, 2 gallons water, heated to 155 for 15 mins, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 2 more gallons water then mead yeast. I think I am missing something. Anyone?

20130218_203708.jpg

shmafl73 said:
This is the beginning of my first try. 1 day in. 15lbs honey, 2 gallons water, heated to 155 for 15 mins, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 2 more gallons water then mead yeast. I think I am missing something. Anyone?

You're likely going to want more nutrient or that ferment may stall, at the least it will simply take months to ferment out.

I add nutrient and energizer day 1 when I'm mixing everything up. other people do a staggered nutrient addition. which is adding nutrient and energizer over a few day.

shmafl73 said:
At what point should I add the nutrient? At 2ND ferment or now?

You can go either way, a lot of folks have had great success using the staggared nutrient additions method outlined in the sticky in the mead forum. It's a bit more work but it does work well. My first meads were just 3tsp nutrient up front, that may do ya fine too.

Mead made from heather honey (very dark and with lots of flavours). Love the resulting colour and it's quite tasty. It's like instant metheglin. :)

Heather mead.jpg

gilliam said:
Mead made from heather honey (very dark and with lots of flavours). Love the resulting colour and it's quite tasty. It's like instant metheglin. :)

That's gorgeous, is it dry or sweet?

It's local wild flower honey with local, fresh apple cider. It turned out wonderfully! I almost want to stare more than drink... ALMOST.

Ah Man thats the same color as my Cyser from this year! I used 1 Gallon of Cider to 2lbs of Wildflower Honey from an asian supermarket (not as local as i usually like to use) It had been bottled for a month, and i opened the overflow bottle that was a capped 12oz and it was beautifully clear but barely drinkable, im hoping age brings it back to the realm of the living. Its semi dry which is also disappointing because i prefer a nice dry cyser. Live Learn and brew another batch next year i guess ;) (use better honey)

b1954c04-ed0d-448f-b033-17442ccd7805_zps5c625a85.jpg

cranberry mead, apfelwein (not mead), chambourcin pyment, and 2 traditional meads (capped not airlocked). Almost had an accident with one of the traditional meads, I put caps on them about a year ago, they are around two years old and never cleared. Decided to rack all of these last weekend, when I opened up one of the capped meads I heard a hissing sound and a nice CO2 cloud appeared. It had carbed in the 1 gallon bottle not meant for carbonation, disaster avoided. Poured some to take a gravity reading, which was 0.98. Hope it is done now, put an airlock back on anyway to let it ride until it is bottled, when it clears :cross:

Hello, this is my first ever time posting on this forum although I have been watching and reading up quite a bit over the past months thanks to the very informative threads and people on here!

So I thought I'd post some pics of 2 of my 4 batches I am currently running which I have just recently clarified using kieselsol and transferred into new, sanitized carboys. All batches are now 4 months old and I plan to age them for at least another 2 months before bottling any of them. I am quite happy with their progress so far, right after primary fermentation all of them had a strong yeasty smell to them and tasted like rocket fuel with a sort of "afterburn" which has significantly decreased over time and right now they are quite drinkable though a little bit more time probably cant hurt especially as they have a tad of carbonation to them which I hope to get rid of over time.

Here is a pic of my banana melomel

62155_10151313319983240_1238025644_n.jpg

And one of my mango/persimmon melomel

72295_10151313490493240_202935645_n.jpg

The other two batches are plum and orange (respectively). As they were all fermented from the same kind of honey they do not differ in colour all that much. Once I have finished and consumed all of them I plan to try some more colour intense variants, maybe with blue or blackberries.

First JAOM just bottled tonight. The bottles aren't clear, so they're not very interesting, but this was my tasting glass. The mead is clearer than this photo looks - my small glasses aren't great for showing clarity apparently. I'm no photographer! It tastes good already, looking forward to what it will be after more time!

20130304_005637.jpg

Just bottled two batches, a acerglyn on the left and Boucher on the right. No that you can see anything as they are in very dark bottles. The cobolt blue ones are beautiful untill you realize you can't gaze appreciatively at the product inside.

image-1482821124.jpg

I had three gallons of traditional that I split out into three one gallon meads. One traditional, one spiced chai, and one chamomile vanilla.

image-2962439407.jpg

My blueberry and clementine/raspberry ( still cloudy 7months later dunno why) and also a recipe i found at youtube from StormTheCastle channel that i brewed January 1st 2013 :)

image-1483224989.jpg

image-857023169.jpg

image-4150008958.jpg

Wow, love those temperature labels!

Anyone know how/where to get some of those inside of Europe?

Wow, love those temperature labels!

Anyone know how/where to get some of those inside of Europe?

They sell them at the biggest brewshop in Sweden, and I'm guessing the ones in Germany too. And in pet stores.

Back