Water to grain ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdochughes

Reaction score
Hello,

Easy question here. When calculating my water to grist ratio, should I add the volume below my false bottom to my calculation?
i.e., I calculate 8 gal of strike water for the ratio I want, do I add the 1.75gal of volume below the false bottom to that?

Yes, and with such a large amount you might want to recirculate a gallon or two prior to closing the lid.

I agree that the foundation water below the false bottom should be included in the water volume for the water/grist ratio. That water definitely affects the water chemistry of the mash. Do recirculate that foundation water prior to closing the lid as suggested above.

so, to clarify,

is it part of my 8 gal which is the total water to grist ratio that I have calculated for efficiency sake. Or, is it 9.75 total? I think what your saying is its part of the 8 that I need, just recirculate to effectively homogenize.
:mug:

Easy question my a$$ :D

...and to add to that, I am NOT an expert, so take my advice as such :)

I would determine my required water amount based on my water:grist ratio (e.g. 8gal). To that, I would add my MLT deadspace, whatever that may be (may or may not be space under your false bottom). That would become my total mash water (e.g. 8gal + MLT deadspace).

Additionally, with such a large space under your false bottom I would make sure to recirculate prior to closing the lid to make the mash more homogeneous.

That's how _I_ would proceed, FWIW.

I did a couple of batches without taking the dead space into account.

I read somewhere on here about how it can affect the batch, so now i fill up to my false bottom, then add the necessary amount of water from there.

I've noticed a slight difference in the finished product, but nothing too earthshattering. I also don't have a large dead space under mine though.

Not to saying my way is correct.... but just my experience on the matter.

I have a 2 gallon DEAD SPACE..(I always do 10 gallon batches) For mash thickness I use 1.33 qts. per lb. but when I factor in the water below the bottom, for a typical 10 G batch it's usually 1.67 Qts. Per Lb.
So yes, include it. ( I also have a RIMS system, so that water is always in play).

Latest posts

Back