Random Hop Lazy Man's SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryush806

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a pack of various and sundry hops fairly cheap. I've decided make a one gallon batch with each variety to get a good feel for each one. Kind of like a SMaSH recipe but I will probably only use light or maybe amber DME since all I care about is the hops. I'm not really even trying to make good beer but that would be a nice byproduct. So for those of you more familiar with SMaSH type recipes, what would you recommended for OG, IBU, hops schedule, etc to get the best handle on these hops?

what you do is go for a fixed amount of IBUs at 60 mins,say 20? and add more hops at 20,15,10,5 fixed weights to end up with the same ballpark IBUs at the end and a huge hop flavour and aroma.

badlee said:
what you do is go for a fixed amount of IBUs at 60 mins,say 20? and add more hops at 20,15,10,5 fixed weights to end up with the same ballpark IBUs at the end and a huge hop flavour and aroma.

So essentially a hop burst ipa schedule?

hey ryush, i am doing something similar this weekend. i do a lot of pilot batches, so i have a brewtarget setting for .75 gallon size (enough headspace in reused apple juice juges). i am just going to mash enough for 7 batches in my normal cooler following the hop stoopid bill (97% 2row/3% victory).

the plan is to shoot for 1.068 + 50 IBUs using about 1oz each. most are about .2oz bittering, .4oz flameout + long immersion, .4oz dryhop for 3/4gal.

So essentially a hop burst ipa schedule?

IMO/IME, hop bursting will give you the best idea of what a hop will give you for flavors and aromas. If the hop doesn't have enough AA% in it to do without a bittering addition, just be sure that it's only what you need. Use the majority for 20 minutes forward additions. My MO SMaSH IPA (an English IPA) was all hop bursting additions (20, 15, 10, 5, 1). Used 7.5oz of EKG for just over 6 gallons into kegs. Came out GREAT too. :D

ddrrseio said:
hey ryush, i am doing something similar this weekend. i do a lot of pilot batches, so i have a brewtarget setting for .75 gallon size (enough headspace in reused apple juice juges). i am just going to mash enough for 7 batches in my normal cooler following the hop stoopid bill (97% 2row/3% victory).

the plan is to shoot for 1.068 + 50 IBUs using about 1oz each. most are about .2oz bittering, .4oz flameout + long immersion, .4oz dryhop for 3/4gal.

Thanks. I might do something similar as far as the gravity and IBUs go.

Golddiggie said:
IMO/IME, hop bursting will give you the best idea of what a hop will give you for flavors and aromas. If the hop doesn't have enough AA% in it to do without a bittering addition, just be sure that it's only what you need. Use the majority for 20 minutes forward additions. My MO SMaSH IPA (an English IPA) was all hop bursting additions (20, 15, 10, 5, 1). Used 7.5oz of EKG for just over 6 gallons into kegs. Came out GREAT too. :D

Cool thanks. I have 3 oz of each hop so I won't have problems getting whatever IBUs in a 1 gallon batch.

nah i don't do extract and i am aware of the benefits of the boil, i just wondered when they set in/maximize/etc. it would be nice to save a ton of gas and time by doing a bunch of 30 minute boils instead of a bunch of 60 minute boils!

I would just mash normally, and then kick off for a 60 minute boil. Just means that you can wait until you're at the right volume for the 20 minute mark before you start the hop additions. Also means you could mash better/more, do a longer boil if you're fighting the weather, and still come out on target. Nothing to stop you from going for a shorter boil, I just don't do it. With the Blichmann burner, it doesn't use too much gas to get up to a boil (when not fighting wind and such).

ddrrseio said:
if just hop bursting, how important would a 60 minute boil be?

I could just hop burst since I'm doing extract. Would there be any flavor effect if not doing a bittering addition? I know most of the hop flavors we desire would disappear after a 60 min boil but what about the ones we might not want? Would they develop in just a 20-30 minute boil? It sounds weird to be concerned about making sure I get the bad flavors but I want to get as good a feel for each hop as I can.

yeah, i'm not sure. as i have pounds of some hops and single ounces of others (motueka, simcoe) and as i want the hop schedules to be pretty consistent across all of them so i can gauge not just flavor/aroma but also intensity, i'm planning all of them around 1oz. i think they range from .95oz to 1.05oz depending on AA. everything past 15 min is the same though.

With hop bursting you use significantly more hops than if you had a bittering addition. That's so that you get the IBU's for the recipe, but all with flavor/aroma additions. I used 7.5oz of EKG in a batch to get ~48 IBUs (6 gallons into serving kegs).

If you want to hit the numbers for the batch, use software to figure out how much you'll need to use/add... I use BeerSmith 2.x for my recipe formulation without issue.

With hop bursting you use significantly more hops than if you had a bittering addition. That's so that you get the IBU's for the recipe, but all with flavor/aroma additions. I used 7.5oz of EKG in a batch to get ~48 IBUs (6 gallons into serving kegs).

If you want to hit the numbers for the batch, use software to figure out how much you'll need to use/add... I use BeerSmith 2.x for my recipe formulation without issue.

Right I understand the concept of hop bursting. Let me give an example to better ask my question. Let's say I make a wort that is going to finish at 1.065 after the boil. I add Ultra hops according to the following schedule:

0.25 oz 60 min (10.1 IBUs)
1.00 oz 20 min (24.4 IBUs)
1.00 oz 15 min (20.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz 10 min (14.6 IBUs)
1.00 oz 5 min (8.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz 0 min (0 IBUs)
For a grand total of 77.0 IBUs according to BeerSmith.

Now let's say I make another batch without the 0.25 oz 60 minute addition. BeerSmith says the beer will be 67 IBUs instead. Less bitter but not by too much. My question is, other than the slight drop in bitterness, will there be any appreciable flavor difference? Again I'm more interested in any "off flavors" than hop flavors since we all know that late hops provide the hop flavor. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Right I understand the concept of hop bursting. Let me give an example to better ask my question. Let's say I make a wort that is going to finish at 1.065 after the boil. I add Ultra hops according to the following schedule:

0.25 oz 60 min (10.1 IBUs)
1.00 oz 20 min (24.4 IBUs)
1.00 oz 15 min (20.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz 10 min (14.6 IBUs)
1.00 oz 5 min (8.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz 0 min (0 IBUs)
For a grand total of 77.0 IBUs according to BeerSmith.

Now let's say I make another batch without the 0.25 oz 60 minute addition. BeerSmith says the beer will be 67 IBUs instead. Less bitter but not by too much. My question is, other than the slight drop in bitterness, will there be any appreciable flavor difference? Again I'm more interested in any "off flavors" than hop flavors since we all know that late hops provide the hop flavor. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Since you're not making any changes to the flavor or aroma additions, you'll not get any flavor or aroma changes between the batches. Just a few less IBU.

Personally, over 60 IBU [for me] is too many. Actually, my ceiling is set to 50 IBU for anything going to glass in less than 6 months. Simply put, IMO/IME, it's too much bitterness to be enjoyable. I know there are those that love the face implosion of high IBU brews. Obviously I'm not one of them. I'd rather use all flavor and aroma additions with a better IBU:GU balance.

BTW, no idea what 'Ultra' hops will give you since I've not used them or even read about them. I seriously hope you REALLY like what they give a brew.

Golddiggie said:
BTW, no idea what 'Ultra' hops will give you since I've not used them or even read about them. I seriously hope you REALLY like what they give a brew.

Haha I just chose it at random for my example. I don't even have any Ultra. Thanks for you help with this!

One more question. Would anyone advocate using table sugar to dry the finished beer out to let the hops shine through even more or would this be too much? I'm thinking definitely less than 10% of the fermentable a but open to suggestion.

One more question. Would anyone advocate using table sugar to dry the finished beer out to let the hops shine through even more or would this be too much? I'm thinking definitely less than 10% of the fermentable a but open to suggestion.

I wouldn't... But I'm also brewing all grain where I can just reduce the mash temp to get a brew to have a lower FG. :D

So I finally got a batch of this bottled. Got 10 bottles of brew featuring Summit hops. The sample I tasted had a great hop flavor and nose. I'll report back in a few weeks after they're properly carbonated.

Back