Sanitizing oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunnlife

Reaction score
I plan on using French oak chips soaked in bourbon for my imperial stout. Is it necessary to sanitize the oak chips before soaking in the bourbon? How should I go about doing that?

Would people recommend throwing out the bourbon (ie drinking it) before putting the oak chips in, or dumping the bourbon and the chips?

NOOOOOO!!! Don't pitch the bourbon. I used mid toasted french oak chips in my Whiskely ale. "whiskely ale was a colonial name for stout that had been aged in used bourbon barrels,which by law in this country can only be used once. Anyway,I used 4oz of the chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black. Looking back,3 jiggers would've been better. I put them in an airtight tupperware container from those oscar mier deli meats cleaned out. Tight lids on those. I put it in the fridge when I pitched the yeast on the ale. when time for secondary,I poured all through a hop sock into secondary,tied it off,& dropped it in. Racked the ale onto it.
The reason being,as the chips soak up the bourbon,the bourbon soaks the resins outta the wood. so you need all of it to ge tall the flavor.

Back