Fried spent grain protein patties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleaves

Reaction score
GLW has been on me about using that spent grain that's been sitting there. I didn't know what to do with it, so after a brain storm I came up with this.

Spent grain in a processor until floury. I don't have exact Measurements. But I took about 1 part spent grain flour to 1 part dry TVP (GLW is a veggie). Mixed them together and added enough water in the pan as the package says for double the tvp and rehydrated them on a low boil. Removed from heat and added a couple eggs and some regular all purpose flour. Dashed a bit if soy sauce in there. I'm sure any seasoning would be fine. Mixed let it sit to loosen any remaining gluten and formed into balls. It doesn't stick together super well so be gentle. I had a couple inches of canola oil in a fry pan but deep frying would be perfect. They fall apart easy, so use a basket to pull them out gently. They need sauce as the are rather dry. Hoisin, or I made a sauce with soy sauce, mirin and sugar. In a pan on med heat until it drops almost half in amount, stir constantly. Drizzle on top or serve on the side. Your grain bill will change the way this tastes for sure. I had melanoidin, golden promise, rye and there was some heather in there. Very good and nutricious apart from the frying bit.

I really don't bake at all so I wanted to use it in cooking. I've been thinking I could make a soup with it or batter chicken or potatoes.

Latest posts

Back