Rye Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a Plain Pale Ale next time. Something simple and not too bitter. I like Rye IPAs though, and I wondered what it would be like to make Pale Ale with some rye?

How much would I use?

I saw a recipe in the database (I just noticed there was a rye section). I think 20% would be fine. I don't mind a lot of rye flavor.

What do you think about rye and cascade? I have a LOT of homegrown cascade. Not looking to make an IPA, just a balanced Pale Ale with something interesting (rye).

I've never bittered with cascade. I'm not sure I want to bitter with homegrown since I'd be guessing on the IBUs. I might add some late for flavor though.

I saw a recipe in the database (I just noticed there was a rye section). I think 20% would be fine. I don't mind a lot of rye flavor.

What do you think about rye and cascade? I have a LOT of homegrown cascade. Not looking to make an IPA, just a balanced Pale Ale with something interesting (rye).

I've never bittered with cascade. I'm not sure I want to bitter with homegrown since I'd be guessing on the IBUs. I might add some late for flavor though.

I like cascade with rye. I've used willamette/cascade in a rye pale ale (sort of hopped like Bell's amber) and liked that alot, too.

I can find flaked rye at the homebrew store I frequent, but I did not find any rye malt. They have the largest selection in West Michigan, so I'd be surprised if they didn't have any. Just wondering if it would be ok to simply go with flaked for the entire recipe.

This is more of a full bodied American Amber Ale than a Pale Ale but this is the third time I've tweaked this recipe and love it. I used casacade and citra this time and it tastes good at three weeks right now. In the past have used Pale Ale Malt as the base. Color is great!

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Rahr 2 Row Pale (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 59.1 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Weyermann® Rye Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 31.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %

Just an idea, I love Rye so I've found 30% to be about right for me.

I can find flaked rye at the homebrew store I frequent, but I did not find any rye malt. They have the largest selection in West Michigan, so I'd be surprised if they didn't have any. Just wondering if it would be ok to simply go with flaked for the entire recipe.

Just read another post on Northern Brewer about Denny's Wry Smile IPA (which you should consider making at some point if you like Rye beers!) and he said that when formulating the recipe he felt Flaked Rye didn't get him the same kick as the malt did. I'm inclined to trust him because that recipe is great.

Just read another post on Northern Brewer about Denny's Wry Smile IPA (which you should consider making at some point if you like Rye beers!) and he said that when formulating the recipe he felt Flaked Rye didn't get him the same kick as the malt did. I'm inclined to trust him because that recipe is great.

That's good to know. I definitely don't want it light on the rye flavor. I'll call the shop and see if they do carry it. I might have to order online or something crazy like that. Trouble is, we are going real close to the store this weekend on our way to/from Kzoo, so it would be a good time to grab what I need.

Definitely have a rye pale ale that I'm rather proud of. The malt bill is rather mixed (pale malt, rye, biscuit, torrified wheat, a touch of cara 45, some wheat LME and munich LME), but the combination of hops is amazing. I do a 45 minute boil with northern brewer @ 45, Zythos @ 30, and Pacific Gem/Jade @ 15. The rye and the wheat compliment each other very nicely, and the rye also adds a nice crispness to the hops. One of the best, most refreshing beers I've ever made.

Well, I made it out to Bells to pick up some brewing supplies. Got some rye malt and some flaked rye, along with some vienna, special B and a few other odds and ends. Now to find time to brew and to remember to make a starter ahead of time.

And I was lucky enough to find a 4-pack of Goose Island Bourbon County at the party store my wife had me stop at.

I put cascade and amarillo in my rye IPA. Very nice, but I think I may have overdone it w/ the amarillo. Became tropical fruit/candy-like in combination with the cascade. That said, I'll be making it again with only cascade soon enough.

I put 5% in my last Pale. I think I'm going to bump it to 15% and replace all of the C60 I usually use. I love the rye flavor.
I use cascade and willamettes

I just pulled a sample of my Redheaded Rye-child and am really diggin the Cascade and Citra combo on this one. I think this will be a really solid beer.

Looks like I may get to brew this weekend. We've been very busy and I've been sick past couple of weeks.

I got my recipe drawn up in BS2 and should be doing the water profile today if I get a few moments.

Technically I have plenty of beer in kegs so I may bottle this one. I can't remember when I brewed last. I hope I can remember how to do it!

Back