Mixing DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i had an idea and wanted to get some feedback, insteak of mixing DME in the boil pot i wanted to know what you all though of mixing it in a protein shaker with water first then adding it to the boil pot, do you think this will reduce the clumping and make mixing it easier?

Too much of a hassle and more to clean up. No reason to. It's not that big of a deal to add it to your kettle.

I agree with bobbrews. Is it that much of a hassle to add it to the boil? Why make another step that may affect the outcome?

yea i was thinking its just another step, but also though it might help mixing more thoughoughly, thanks for the feedback

It clumps when you add it, but if you use a whisk, it breaks up easily. I would just half in the beginning, when it comes to a boil, and the other half at flame out. It shouldn't be too much trouble.

well that settles that, i normally use LME but im doing a few 2 gallon small batches and am thinking DME is the way to go since i will be scaling down 5 gallon recipes.

+1 on the whisk. I tried stirring it in at first. After finding out about the whisk, it's 100 times easier. Sometimes I can talk the wife into whisking while I pour :D

Only use DME for my starters but like to disolve it cold. Used it in my first batch and it clumped alot and the steam from the boil made the DME stick to the bag. Whisk does help alot thought.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Back