Help interpreting ward labs water report, Hixson Utility District

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 160
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.27
Cations / Anions, me/L 3.1 / 2.6
ppm
Sodium, Na 1
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 33
Magnesium, Mg 17
Total Hardness, CaCO3 153
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 1
Chloride, Cl 3
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 147
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 121
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

i am wanting to brew a pale ale currently with 11 lbs of 2 row pale malt and 1 lb of 40 crystal malt would this water work ok for that. Also would this water be ok for IPA and IIPA beers as these are my typical styles i brew. Any input is appreciated thank you!

I just plugged this into a brew calculator. For a hoppy profile beer, your Calcium and Sulfate are low. To get within recommended range, 25 grams (about 6 teaspoons) of Gypsum. This will bring your Calcium and Sulfate levels to a recommended range.

The magnesium content is already high enough, so additions are probably not needed for that ion. The calcium is a little low and it could be wise to increase the concentration. For hoppy beers, gypsum will be a welcome addition since sulfate is very helpful in expressing the hops and bittering. For maltier styles, calcium chloride will be a good addition.

The biggest problem with this water is the alkalinity level. That must be reduced with either acid malt or acid addition. I suggest you check out Bru'n Water to figure out how to work with an acid and this water.

ok this may be a dumb question but when would be the appropriate time to add the gypsum. i was assuming as my mash water but i know what assuming can do.

If the calcium is needed to help reduce the mash pH, then it needs to be added to the mash. If there isn't a great need for that calcium for the pH adjustment, then it could be possible to add it directly to the kettle after the mash.

ok thanks for your help. i have been trying to read the bru n water knowledge section I believe that i am starting to understand this water stuff better even though i think it can be some complicated stuff.

Back