Bulk Extract Container as fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer73

Reaction score
So I got one of those 15gal (estimated) containers from my LHBS to ferment in for $5. It's been a cheap way to ferment 10 gal batches, but I'm tired of siphoning into a secondary. I'd like to put one of those cheap plastic valves on it that are used on bottling buckets, but not sure how to mount it flush without losing beer. There's no threads on the bulkhead to add a diptube. I'm curious to see if this is done or ideas the community may have. I only need to pull about an inch or so of beer before I fear disturbing the trub.

fermenter1.jpg

fermenter2.jpg

My long autosiphon just about reaches the bottom of the 15g extract barrel i got-but it has to go down inside of the opening a few inches. I start the autosiphon and drain about the top few gallons, then hang it it a bit by the hose to go all the way. You can also get a long length of racking cane or SS tubing as well (no autosiphon) to do the job.

If I were going to put a valve on the bottom, I'd steer clear of the bottling spigots. I think these would give you problems. I'd go more with a SS ball valve/bulkhead weldleas setup.

Hope that helps.

Use a drilled rubber stopper and a bent piece of copper or racking cane as a diptube in the bottling spigot. Revvy has a thread on this. I believe it's a bottling tutorial.

But I agree I'd spend the $27 shipped or so to get a keg/kettle weldless bulkhead. I have 2 of them on kettles and they don't leak. Have the cooler bulkhead on my MLT and it's great, too. BargainFittings.com

Thanks for the input. I've at least got something to go on now.

Given that there is no real opening at the top to get my hands/arm into, not sure which method I'll go with. Getting the plastic spigot in wouldn't be much of a problem with the string/tube method. The stopper and a tube might be a little more difficult. I am going to move to a DIY conical eventually, so the SS ball valve would at least get repurposed.

FWIW, I autosiphon from my ale pails, all four of them. I don't love it (especially cause my siphon doesn't have a clip) but I haven't gotten fed-up enough to change the procedure. You are not alone, my friend.

I think I get the problem now duh.... The openings are too small? I don't think you'll be able to get a tool or arm down inside for the nut/bulkhead fitting.

You can tie a string to a washer or something, then run the string through the nut inside the fermenter and then through the spigot on the outside. Pull the string to put pressure on the nut, then turn the spigot to tighten. Same concept with a SS valve. I saw a thread were a guy did that with a 60 gal conical that he couldn't reach into. Gave me the idea to do that in this thing with its 2" opening. I don't know. I may just say to hell with it and build the conical. :rockin:

Back