Delaying lagering, any negative side-affects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlm3

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Bavarial Dunkel in a few weeks and was thinking that rather than wasting the yeast when this is done in primary, I'd like to do a dopplebock and maybe pitch onto the yeast bed from the dunkel .

My question is, would there be any drawbacks to fermenting the dunkel in my temp controlled fridge for two weeks, transferring it to a 5 gal carboy while the freshly brewed dopplebock is racked onto the yeast cake in the original 6 gal carboy for fermentation. Let it ferment in the fridge with the dunkel , then after the dopplebock is done fermenting, transfer it to another 5 gallon carboy and then place them both in the freezer and slowly bring down to lagering temps for the recommended number of months? Usually I would begin dropping the temp as soon as a lager has been racked to secondary, I'm just wondering if there are any drawbacks to keeping it at fermentation temps (mid-50's F) for an extra two weeks? I'd probably allow them both to rise in temp for a d-rest right before dropping temp for lagering.

Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I could put it in my freezer when ready, but with the temp controller monitoring the dopplebock in primary in the fridge, I won't be able to carefully drop the temp a few degrees per day and possibly risk some freezing. Although I would be able to monitor the temp at least twice a day so hopefully I could catch any dramatic changes in temp in time.

(a) there is no downside to your plan to leave the dunkel at a higher temp for a few extra weeks.

(b) you should use your hydrometer, not your calendar, to decide when it is time for a d-rest. In other words, 1.020, not "two weeks."

(c) pitching onto the entire yeast cake may not be best. In this case the downside is low because your yeast requirements for the doppelbock in terms of cell count are pretty substantial. But in general, take the time to pitch the correct amount of slurry, which is often anywhere from half a cup to two cups. There is a ginormous thread somewhere on overpitching with an entire yeast cake. Slurry is the absolute best source of fresh, viable yeast but there is such a thing as too much. Get your slurry out into a sanitized container, clean your carboy well and re-sanitize, then pitch however much slurry you need to get the right cell count.

(d) What yeast strain are you using? I'd try to go lower than mid-50's if it's feasible.

Thanks for the input!

I'm using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. I've been debating using the yeast cake or collecting and repitching as you described, I'm thinking I'll do the latter.

I should be able to get my fridge into the mid-40's to start the fermentation and then slowly ramp up from there.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back