No more GE 50 AMP Spa Panel at Home Depot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckjaxfl

Reaction score
I went today to get the GE 50 amp spa panel; there were none in the store. It's not on the website any more, either. The website lists a 60 amp GE for $72.00 and a "Midwest" brand 50 amp for $51.45.

Is it critical that the spa panel be GE brand? I seem to remember some discussion here some time ago that there were specific details about the GE brand panel that made it the only one that was usable?

I just went today and looked and my home depot still has the GE model. Wonder if it's discontinued.

Midwest Electrical is owned by GE.
I trained some of their guys to use AutoCAD Electrical, last year.

The Midwest one looks to be the same as my "GE" one I bought a few months ago....at least from the website pictures.

GFCI is GFCI. As long as it's rated for at least the amperage you're using, (usually 30A for dryer outlets....we use 50A because they are cheap and available), it'll be fine.

What I meant with my previous post is that Midwest makes a lot of the products that are branded GE.

This reminds me that I REALLY need to buy one. I've been planning to for a while and since I got some overtime last week...

Once I have that I can actually start building my rig.

I bought the Midwest spa panel a month ago, and I believe it came with GE breakers. I believe it's the same product, Midwest just slapped their name on it

Ameliabrewery wrote:
Just a suggestion, I bought the same spa panel then found a 50a gfci breaker on eBay for 40.00. Took spa panel back.

Well, I bought a 50a gfci breaker on eBay for 40.00, came dead on arrival, am going tomorrow to Home Depot tomorrow to buy the Midwest spa panel.

Ameliabrewery wrote:
Just a suggestion, I bought the same spa panel then found a 50a gfci breaker on eBay for 40.00. Took spa panel back.

Well, I bought a 50a gfci breaker on eBay for 40.00, came dead on arrival, am going tomorrow to Home Depot tomorrow to buy the Midwest spa panel.

What was wrong with it?

It would not even turn on. The red flag was always in the window indicating a tripped breaker. Even disconnected both hots and neutral and it still would not reset.

To follow up - I went and got the Midwest brand spa panel today.

It looks precisely the same as the one pictured. GE breaker, busses, screws, etc. The only difference between this one and the one in the picture is that the ground bus on this one hasn't been photoshopped to the lower corner.

Back