Small Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch yesterday and checked all connections with soapy water and everything looked fine. I came out today and when I opened the freezer I heard a slight hiss coming from the keg. The leak isn't on any of the connections, but actually coming from the base of the relief valve. It is very small but I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had a lid like that and ended up replacing the lid with one from ebay. Maybe you have a friend (or yourself) that welds stainless?

No that I don't. I am wondering if maybe I can take the lid off and see if it needs tightened a little more. Can't hurt to try.

Well I just looked at it and it isn't a part that can be tightened. I wonder if I could use anything to try and seal it without welding. Would silicon caulking or something like that work?

[...]Well I just looked at it and it isn't a part that can be tightened. I wonder if I could use anything to try and seal it without welding. Would silicon caulking or something like that work?

Under the circumstances, it's definitely worth a try, not much to lose at this point. Never had that happen, but I'd dry the underside of the lid best as possible then apply the silicone sealant to the entire relief valve opening, put the lid back on and put a couple of pounds of pressure on it for 24 hours and hope the sealant plugs the leak.

Then I'd immediately order a new lid...

Cheers - and good luck

Thanks for the advice. I did email Northern Brewer since they are the ones that sold me the kegs and see if they will replace the lid.

Not sure what to do if the leak is actually from the safety valve. When I keg a beer I crank up the pressure to about 20 psig to seal the lid and then check for leaks. This creates a good seal for the lid.

Back