ESB Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate456789

Reaction score
I just bought grains and Hops to make an ESB from my local Brew shop.
They didn't have the original yeast that their recipe called for - wyeast ESB - so they gave me British Ale 1098.
Is this going to be a good substitute?
Any recommendations? Maybe a dry yeast substitute that they might have?

Thanks

WLP002 English Ale Yeast will do a good job for you.

This looks very close to the original yeast spec.

Just wondering how much of a difference the 1098 vs the ESB strain will be on flavor. Looks like the 1098 finishes off more neutral. That is what the website says anyway.

The 1098 is a medium Flocculation vs High with the ESB Yeasts. I am still learning so I am not sure what affect this has on the final beer.

I have had good luck using it in my IPA's. I just used it in a mild, southern, northern brown ale, as well as in a special bitters.

Wyeast ESB is the 1968, which is equal to White Labs WLP002.

Wyeast 1098 is the equal to White Labs WLP007 (my favorite yeast).

I have used both WLP002, and WLP007, the the 007 will finish very dry. It attenuates just like the Chico strain, but finishes quickly and drops clear much faster. I also found it really benefits from a strong dose of O2.

In my experience, the temp of this yeast needs to be kept low. I pitch at 61F, and let it rise over 36 hours to a max wort temp of 65F, and I get a very clean profile. I have gone up to 67F on a dry stout, and there was much more fruit. I have gone as high as 69F, and it had far too much ester character for my taste - I would never go that warm again.

I understand that esters are a nice trait in an English beer, but this yeast is a monster and can get away from you pretty quickly.....just something to keep in mind. Ferment low (67F max), and you may have just stumbled onto your new favorite yeast.

Joe

Wyeast ESB is the 1968, which is equal to White Labs WLP002.

Wyeast 1098 is the equal to White Labs WLP007 (my favorite yeast).

I have used both WLP002, and WLP007, the the 007 will finish very dry. It attenuates just like the Chico strain, but finishes quickly and drops clear much faster. I also found it really benefits from a strong dose of O2.

In my experience, the temp of this yeast needs to be kept low. I pitch at 61F, and let it rise over 36 hours to a max wort temp of 65F, and I get a very clean profile. I have gone up to 67F on a dry stout, and there was much more fruit. I have gone as high as 69F, and it had far too much ester character for my taste - I would never go that warm again.

I understand that esters are a nice trait in an English beer, but this yeast is a monster and can get away from you pretty quickly.....just something to keep in mind. Ferment low (67F max), and you may have just stumbled onto your new favorite yeast.

Joe

Very cool. Thank you for the info.
Luckily my room in the basement stays at 62 and I use a small heater to keep the temps at what I need. I will try the low the low temps and see how it turns out.

Back