Three Points of Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueskew

Reaction score
Hi guys. I had a weird night brewing last night where I either screwed up or tried new things three times and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what I have going on here. I'm just doing a light cream ale that I've done before and I have an oatmeal-like cake forming at the top during primary after about 8 hours. I've never seen a buildup like this when I've brewed in the past.

1) I was using a new uncalibrated thermometer and I seem to have mashed in at closer to 175 than 165 which causes obvious problems. I lowered the temp as quickly as I could by stirring and adding cool water, but it took a little while to drop temp.

2) The yeast packets were a bit suspect as the wyeast bags were slightly more inflated than normal. When I broke the nutrient packs, though, they did seem to inflate per normal, so I don't think that this was a bad yeast issue.

3) Finally, I used a whirlfloc tablet (and yeast nutrients) for the first time ever and I don't know how Irish Moss behaves in the kettle or in primary.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this an infection? Or is this some kind of normal looking behavior?

primary_fermentation_oatmeal.jpg

It doesn't look normal to me, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just keep an eye on the mass at the top, if it grows its probably infected. But it could just be cold break. I've not seen it look like that before, but who knows?

It will probably turn out fine.

Looks like break to me. Doubt you'd see signs of infection after only 8 hours.

Whirlfloc will surprise you on your first use. Depending on what grains you were using and yeast activity it can kick up a weird mess of things in your fermenter. Usually for me the break settles out quickly, in your case it looks like the break kicked up.

Nice photo btw.

Happyvdubber,

Just one tablet.

Everyone,

Ok, thanks for the heads up about the cold break. I don't know why, but I've never gotten cold break before. Or at least I've never seen it kick up like this so I was concerned that I did something else wrong or that I might be making alcoholic oatmeal.

Best,

Blue

Happyvdubber,

Just one tablet.

Everyone,

Ok, thanks for the heads up about the cold break. I don't know why, but I've never gotten cold break before. Or at least I've never seen it kick up like this so I was concerned that I did something else wrong or that I might be making alcoholic oatmeal.

Best,

Blue

Blue,

I've read two items of note when using whirfloc, both can attribute to the "fluffy" break material you've pictured.

1 - Over use. A single tablet is suitable for up to 10 gallons (some even say 20). Assuming we're looking at a 5gal batch of beer, consider 1/2 tablet on next batch.

2 - Whirfloc addition was made too early. Some say a 15 minute addition is to soon. Recommend a 5 or 10 minute addition.

Either way, I am almost positive we're looking at a side effect of whirfloc, but the good news I don't think it would have any impact on the final product.

hey on the subject of the Whirfloc- I usually use dry irish moss.. sounds like some of you use the tablets. Do they work better? Should I switch to the tablets?

Happyvdubber,

This was actually my first 10 gallon batch, but the early addition could certainly do it. I'll cut it down to 5-10 minutes before the end of the boil next time and see how things go. Just as I was leaving for work the clumps were starting to slowly break off and fall to the bottom which is a good sign.

Best,

Blue

hey on the subject of the Whirfloc- I usually use dry irish moss.. sounds like some of you use the tablets. Do they work better? Should I switch to the tablets?

Whirfloc is a refined version of irish moss. They both do the same thing. Use whatever you can get your hands on.

Back