hop fertilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
We carry a brand of concentrated fertilizer called montys joy juice that has very low salt content and is good for foliage spraying or root feeding. Would foliage fertilizing benefit hops at all or should I concentrate on feeding the root system?

Yes foilar feeding is good. Hops love it...but you should not do so in replacement of a good root feeding.

I'm a big advocate of building up the soil with nutrients and microbes to supply plants with endless supplies of food.

Folial feeding is esential to hops ,soil is also the key.I am starting a little vermiculture experiment here.Cheers Glen

Anyone use a superthrive soak on new rhizomes? It's supposed to be some wonder liquid that helps plants adapt quickly. Is this all hype?

Superthrive is just over priced root stimulator. I got a sample from work and tried it on some bare root berries I planted this year and there is no difference between the two. Id try and get some green light root stimulator.. I have tried that and it does make a difference.

mattattack said:
Superthrive is just over priced root stimulator. I got a sample from work and tried it on some bare root berries I planted this year and there is no difference between the two. Id try and get some green light root stimulator.. I have tried that and it does make a difference.

So its the same as fertilome root stimulator but 10X the cost. Thanks for the input, I already have a gallon size of fertilome at home so I'll just use that.

Folial feeding is esential to hops ,soil is also the key.I am starting a little vermiculture experiment here.Cheers Glen

Essential? In whos world? Sorry man, I grow tons of hops - no 'foliar feeding' needed. Just use good quality compost as a top dressing, and be a good general 'steward of the soil' adding lots of organic matter to your soil each fall and through the winter. You will have awesome yields.

Pretty sure foliar feeding is debunked as almost useless. Google it one way or another, you will find whatever answer you WANT to find. I have tried it, noticed NO difference whatsoever.

To each thar own...

Back