minimal carbonation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP123

Reaction score
hi, i recently made and bottled NB's twelfth night stout. i have been having great experiences with the cooper carb pills, so i used them.

my PET bottles that i used as testers carbed up great, while the 12oz glass bottles did not carb as well....

is it possible that the amount of sugar needed to properly carb a stout is greater than a standard ale? reason i ask is that i put 2 tabs in each PET and one in each 12oz. it is recommended to use 1 tab per 12oz. and that would make sense as the PET's are 16oz

OG reading was 1059, was called to be 1060

were in the bottle for 2 weeks, the PET's were fine so i tossed some 12's in the fridge, when i went to drink one, definately not bubbly.

i havent tried one that hasnt been refrigerated yet, maybe i didnt wait long enough?... let me cool one of the others down tonight and check that

right off hand i would say you didn't wait long enough. make sure where the bottles are is actually in the mid 70's, put the thermometer in the box with the bottles. you might be surprised.

+1. Sometimes, bottles can take a month or more to carbonate properly. All of them will carbonate differently too. I'd say set them aside for another few weeks and try them again.

one last question...

if in fact it is a time thing, will the refrigeration of some have ruined the chanced for carbing, or may they be fine after some time at room temp?

Back