belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
just got done with my boil cooled every thing down ang took my OG an it is really low 1.032 and it should be 1.047 or so. What should I do?

Did you mix it up well, and not just measure top-up water? Did you adjust your reading for temperature?

It is a partial mash recipe I picked up at my local shop. The wort was mixed very well. And the temp is at 70 for the readin. I dont want the beer to be lost. I have not pitched the yeast yet either

How many pounds of grain? What was your mash temp & time? when I used to PM, and extract w/ steeping- I got so put off with extract sugars' off reading that I only calculated PPG w/ my mashed wort to see how my mash efficiency was doing.....
So long as your mashing was sound, I'd wager that despite your mixing, the extracts sugars may not feel like cooperating.
And the last thing that beer is- is lost- Pitch the yeast and I'm sure your be happy in a few weeks!

3 pounds of grain 4 pounds of dme(2 pounds pilsner and 2 pounds wheat). mashed at about 150 degrees for 60 minutes

5-6lb of grain and 3lb of DME gets me in the low to mid 1.050's on a PM. Sounds like your recipe is a bit light on ingredients.

I guess i will just will have to go with it the way it is. Hope it turns out ok. Guess if anything it will just be a little weak. Easy dinkin' right. lol.

Yeah, I am looking at two partial mash recipes from AHS right now.. AHS Belgian White and a Blue Moon Clone (Belgian White).. the AHS original recipe has 2.75 lbs grain and 5 lbs wheat extract to hit 1.048 OG and the Blue Moon has 4 lbs grain and 5 lbs wheat extract to hit 1.048. (the extra pound of grain on the Blue Moon is just oats)

So, the good news is, it actually sounds like you brewed well. It was just a crap recipe. You're probably looking at around 2.8%-3% ABV. You could always spike it with some dextrose or something, but I'd personally just leave it be.

why not cook up a pound or two of DME (careful not to caramelize it) and at it to your fermenter? Watch out for blow off after you add. it ;)

My friend and I were talking and I think wecame to the conclusion that we had a faulty thermometer and that caused an improper mash. Our tempwas actually 10-20 degrees lower than it should have been!

Back