New Brewer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
Ok, this may be a dumb question but I am a noob. I have done 2 extract kits which included making a 2 gallon wort and mixing it with 3+ gallond of water. Now I have a 7 gallon anchor steam ale clone recipe to do. I was told to do the entire boil (7 gallons) all at once without mixing. Do I just do everything the same that I have done in the past but with a 7 gallon boil and no mixing? I was told that mixing all at once would make it a claner beer..

If you have a pot that can boil that much, and a way to chill that much wort (most people don't when they start out), then you certainly can do that. If you can only boil 3 gallons of wort, though, that's fine. You can do what you did before and just boil the smaller amount and add water to get to five gallons.

Doing a full boil usually does result in a better beer, but you can still get excellent results with partial boils (boiling only a portion of the wort) too. You can do something called "late extract addition" which means adding most of the extract near the end of the boil. This results in a beer very much like doing a full boil.

If you post the recipe, we can take a look and see how you can do a smaller boil if you don't have a way to do the full boil.

Mixing concentrated wort with cold water in the fermenter has nothing to do with how the beer ends up tasting, IMO. Plenty of world-class beer is brewed by mixing a concentrated wort with cold water in the fermenter.

If you can pull off the full boil, that's great. You will start with more wort than you end up with, due to boiling off, remember. You will also need a wort chiller, either immersion-type or plate. The ice-water-in-the-sink method will work very poorly for full boils, unless you've a very deep sink and tons of ice.

Post your recipe, including your proposed procedure. We'll be better equipped to address this then.

Cheers!

Bob

You will also need a wort chiller, either immersion-type or plate. The ice-water-in-the-sink method will work very poorly for full boils, unless you've a very deep sink and tons of ice.

The brew pot in the bathtub method works well for me right now... winter and the water coming in is cold, even here in GA.

I also never used ice in the sink, just kept a trickle of cold water running and overflowed the left hand sink into the right... since heat rises, it kept the water cool and cooled the water. I can take 4 gallons from boil to 70 in 20 minutes. I was doing split voume boils at that point. Full volume meant the bathtub for the same technique and time.

I am getting an immersion chiller soon though.

The only problem I can foresee with doing a partial boil with a recipe designed for a full boil is that the hop utilization will be off. You'll have to add extra hops to get the desired HBUs, since you will be diluting the bitterness that was extracted from the hops during the boil. I would recommend using an online brewing calculator to calculate how much extra hops you need to add in order to get your desired HBUs.

Here is the recipe that I intend to do. I would rather do a 5 gallon total batch with this recipe but not 100% sure how to scale it down. Also wondering if when I scale it down, is it ok to use the scaled down recipe in 2 gallons of wort and mix it with 3 more gallons of water to make a total of 5 gallons?

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

Sorry, forgot to add this...

For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.

Ingredients:
------------

Here is the recipe that I intend to do. I would rather do a 5 gallon total batch with this recipe but not 100% sure how to scale it down. Also wondering if when I scale it down, is it ok to use the scaled down recipe in 2 gallons of wort and mix it with 3 more gallons of water to make a total of 5 gallons?

Ingredients:
------------

Sorry, forgot to add this...

For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.

Ingredients:
------------

It looks like the hop adjustments have already been done for you. Now all you have to do is scale the recipe down to 5 gallons and jump in. Ought to be easy math for that........

Wow- does that recipe look familiar........................

Just follow the extract recipe, and the hopping and it'll turn out fine.

It's a 5 gallon recipe. Ignore the all-grain stuff in the thread, since you're doing the extract version. That calls for 6 pounds light DME and 1 pound crystal 60L. Steep the grains for 15-20 minutes at 150-160 degrees, then throw them away. Add the extract and bring to a boil. Then do the hopping as directed in the extract directions.

Back