Adding yeast to primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyg5044

Reaction score
I just did my first beer making tonight....but after adding the yeast and dry-hop pellets to my wort I gave it a stir...which I then realized I shouldn't have done.

Have I messed it up?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.
Becky

Welcome to the 'Hobby' beckyg5044

I dont think you will have done any damage by stirring after putting yeast and pellets in:mug:I always give my wort an extra stir when i pitch the yeast.
If the dry-hopping is for aroma, you will lose most of that i believe during primary fermentation.
Hope it turns out ok;)

This should'nt be a problem unless what ever you stirred with was not clean and sanitized. Before fermentation begins its ok to stir and get as much air into the wort as possible unless the wort is hot. I have read that introducing to much air into hot wort can cause long term oxidation problems. I have only read this I probably would'nt even know what a long term oxidation problem would be or taste like. Its my guess that when your yeast kick into action what ever is in your primary will be moved around quite a bit. You may want to try crushing your pellets before adding them. I have never dry hopped in the primary only the secondary but I would like to know how your brew comes out. Good luck!

If your spoon was sanitised you have absolutely nothing to worry about. For my first brew I was using an old plastic broom handle covered in scratches to stir it and the beer turned out fine.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that I didn't make a fatal mistake so early on in the process! I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Right at the beginning of the ferment is the only time you want to put oxygen into the process. So, stir away!

Back