I've got root rot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I had my rhizome planted about 2 and a half weeks ago. We have had steady 75 - 80 degree weather, and I had no shoots. I just dug it up, it has root rot on both ends of the rhizome. The middle of it still looks strong, and there are a couple of roots extending, but its not much more than what was on there when I planted it. I'm assuming there is no fix for this, it doesn't look like its going to recover. I was watering it once a day and I had it planted in a mount of peat moss and soil. This is a Cascade rhizome, I just ordered a Horizon rhizome from Midwest, to replace it.

Let me know if there are any fixes.....

You might try cutting off the mushy parts down do good, firm rhyzome. You may be able to save it that way but without cutting the rot will continue. BTW, cut with a clean, sanitized, sharp knife.

One more thing, you can get sulfur powder at gardening stores that you can lightly dust the cut edges with to prevent fungi rot.

Edit: should have typed faster. lol

This all sounds good, I don't feel completely hopeless any more. Is there something similar to NO-DAMP that I might beable to get locally rather than wait. If I can I would like to solve this soon. If this solves my problem, what could you suggest for replanting (watering schedule, soil, etc.) I would like to keep this from happening again, or happening to my Horizon

Thanks Guys!

You should be able to find sulfur powder at any Walmart, K-mar, HD, etc. Sulfur powder is used, among other things, when planting potatoes. It's the time of year that every store seems to have a garden center in their parking lot.

Ok, I just cut my rhizome down, its down to about 1" long. I'm keeping it in a lightly damped napkin in a plastic sandwich bag. So is watering once a day too much? I will rework my soil to make a larger mound, the mound I had became a bit packed down. I will also try using more peat moss which might help it not pack so much and drain a bit better.
Anymore input will be appreciated.

Dave the Brewer said:
Ok, I just cut my rhizome down, its down to about 1" long. I'm keeping it in a lightly damped napkin in a plastic sandwich bag. So is watering once a day too much? I will rework my soil to make a larger mound, the mound I had became a bit packed down. I will also try using more peat moss which might help it not pack so much and drain a bit better.
Anymore input will be appreciated.

You are probably watering too much and as you suspected don't have good enough drainage. Sorry, I don't know what kind of soil you have there but loosen the soil up around the rhizome is always good. Also, planting on a mound will help a lot with drainage. I would buy a bag of compost over the peat moss. Hops like pretty rich soil and compost will stay pretty fluffy. I top dress my hops every year with a new bag of compost and it seems to like it pretty well.

BTW, you are better off to let the cut edges sit out in the air to heal over for the night rather than keeping it wet.

you might want to mix in a little sand to help it drain also.

Rather than just watering it every day, actually feel if the soil is damp. If it is damp then you don't need to water it

Seems to be alot like growing bonsai trees... Take a chopstick or a small wooden rod and push it into the soil. Pull it out everyday to see what it looks like, if it is wet or damp still you don't need to water, if it is starting to dry up then time to water again. Rice will not help absorb water that is a myth. If you could do that then rice would cook by setting it on the counter in a bowl. However rice provides agitation to prevent clumping of smaller particles (like salt and sugar).

The soil needs to be light and airy, don't pack it in, and it is a good idea to have some sand or small rocky like particles mixed in with it to help with drainage.

I vote for watering too much. Hops like moisture, but they don't like being wet. I'd also agree on letting the cut surfaces heal over for a couple days before replanting. A fresh cut surface in contact with the soil is an open invitation to more rot organisms. If you just can't resist the urge to water, then adjust your soil to promote better drainage and soil aeration (add some vermiculite, or perlite, maybe some sand, as long as your clay level isn't too high).

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping this rhizome survives. I'm leaving it out for 24 hours and going to check its status tomorrow. Then I will try to replant, the rot was pretty bad... we will see...

Back