Clarifying Agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaAl(e)

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there has been some discussion here and there on other threads on the subject but I've seen no real argument one way or the other. What is the real benefit of clarifying agents? I've not been at this for too God-awful long so excuse my ignorrance. I don't see that "clear" beer should taste any better than my "cloudy" beer but I have seen recipes from some pretty substantial sources that even use it on stouts and porters where "clarity" is a bit useless. Or is it? Have I been overlooking something these past few months? :confused:

AlaskaAl(e) said:
I know there has been some discussion here and there on other threads on the subject but I've seen no real argument one way or the other. What is the real benefit of clarifying agents? I've not been at this for too God-awful long so excuse my ignorrance. I don't see that "clear" beer should taste any better than my "cloudy" beer but I have seen recipes from some pretty substantial sources that even use it on stouts and porters where "clarity" is a bit useless. Or is it? Have I been overlooking something these past few months? :confused:

Unless you are entering your beers into competitions, clarity has no bearing on whether its a good beer or not, IMHO.

Yeah, probably a lot of your haze is chill haze...no effect at all on flavor.

And I agree...you shouldn't need to use finings on dark beer. I never use finings on any beers, but stouts and porters really don't need them.

Just my opinion. It's a combination of laziness and not wanting to add unnecessary ingredients (like fish bladders) to my beer. Cheers! :D

I have gotten some excellent clarity from just leaving my ale to sit in the cold storage room for a while. Even from one-pouring bottle conditioned beer.

Mind you, I've never made a REALLY light colored beer...

kj

Back