Skunked??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I made a brown ale and thought it was decent. Many people have tried it and liked it. I brought some in to work the other day, but left it in the trunk of my car for a few hours, so it cooled down (about 40F in the morning). Guy at work said it had a very sour taste. Now I was surprised because that was the first comment I've had regarding sour taste. Could it have been skunked from cooking in the trunk, warming in the office, then cooling again? Of so, is sour taste related to skinking?

By the way, anyone else have an issue on iPhones with the text being cut off at the bottom? After a a few sentences fill up my window, I can't see what I'm typing. For some reason, I can no longer scroll down. This is a recent issue.

Before you go crazy diagnosing it as an off-flavor, get at least one other person to corroborate it without telling them what they are looking for. Everyone's palate's are difference.

Skunking comes from expose to light not heat. Oxidation flavors (such as cardboard) become more evident after exposoure to heat. Did it taste sour to you? Why do you think this guy knows what sour beer tastes like vs. it is just a malty brown ale?

Heat up another bottle and taste it side-by-side with one that has been kept cool.

Back