How bad did i muck up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
Just finished my first boil. I added my DME 20 min to early. Finished the boil by adding the rest at the correct times. Kettle is cooling n an ice bath as I type. Will this be drinkable?

Why would you think you added the DME too early? You need some malt at the begining of the boil for hop additions.

Exactly what uniondr said. The only bad thing that can happen from adding your extract early is that your beer could be darker in color. Minor aesthetics aside you'll be fine.

Cool thanks. I was suppose to add DME after 40 min of boil. I added after 20 min of boil. Also how slow is to slow to cool after boil. Just wondering...

What was to be added at the begining of the boil? Did you steep some grains or something? A recipe would help.

Here's the schedule. At start of boil add battering hops, boil 40 min, add DME, boil 5 min add flavoring hops, boil 5 min add aroma hops final boil of 10 min. This was a "Brewers Best" kit... Thanks for all the help... Total noob here.

It is best to add a little malt extract in at the beginning because research has shown a little greatly helps in extracting the oils from the hops. As long as the wort wasn't exposed to sources of infection like air while it was cooling you'll be fine. My first several batches I let cool overnight. fast cooling times help prevent bacteria from spreading before the yeast can get a foothold and help clarify your beer. More aesthetics, and there are easy ways to clarify later like chilling the beer for a week.

Here's the schedule. At start of boil add battering hops, boil 40 min, add DME, boil 5 min add flavoring hops, boil 5 min add aroma hops final boil of 10 min. This was a "Brewers Best" kit... Thanks for all the help... Total noob here.

That doesn't sound right. You either mash a few pounds of grain 1sdt (partial mash),or add part of the malt,stir to dissolve. Then start hop additions & the timer. Sounds like you started with plain water?

Duh... Forgive my newbyness. Yes I steeped grains for 20 min at 160 deg. Brought to boil, added LME and corn sugar. Returned to boil then added bittering hops and started that whole process as stated above.... While I have your attention what's the best way to sanitize a glass carboy? I added sanitizer mixture to carboy and slouched it a round for a few min. That good enough?

Duh... Forgive my newbyness. Yes I steeped grains for 20 min at 160 deg. Brought to boil, added LME and corn sugar. Returned to boil then added bittering hops and started that whole process as stated above.... While I have your attention what's the best way to sanitize a glass carboy? I added sanitizer mixture to carboy and slouched it a round for a few min. That good enough?

should be fine. what sanitizer did you use?

False reading then? I have pitched the yeast and have it sitting in a nice dark spot. Just waiting for the action to start.

cheesehed007 said:
One more thing. My OG was 1.026???? Doesn't seem right.

Prolly nothing to worry about as another person suggested. But, no way to know for sure without your ingredients & volumes info. (3 lbs of DME in 5 gallons of water would have lower OG than 6 lbs in 5 gals).

6.6 lbs Light LME, 1 lbs Wheat DME, 1 lbs Corn sugar, 1 lbs honey malt, 1.5 oz Brewers gold bittering hops, 1 oz cascade hops, .5 oz flavoring hops, .5 oz Aroma hops. 1 sachet of yeast.

Ok maybe this was doomed from the start. Beer has been in fermenter over night. 15+ hours since pitching the yeast. And nothing is happening. No bubbles no krausen. And there seem to a lot if sediment at the bottom. Uf Dah maybe this isn't my bag....oh yea temp is around 66-68..

Don't get excited yet sometimes can take longer then 24 hours to start fermenting just because you can't see it doesn't mean it is not working. And we all make mistakes I have brewed alot of batches and stlll make mistakes. I now carry my brew sheet and set my timers lol. The sediment is the grub probably cold break and hop trub relax its ok. Let it go for a few days you will see

Trub not grub damn phone. What yeast are you using. I recently used a s-04 that took forever to start

image-1948532209.jpg

Yeast was a s-05? Hard to tell. I cut the packet right where it says.

The stuff on the bottom looks normal what was the temp when you pitched yeast?

The US-05 was a funky starter this time around for me with the pm batch I pitched on 10/9. Never was that slow/stubborn before. I wondered about some difference in quality lately myself?...

I forgot to note pitch temp late that night when I sealed'er up. Was 72F by early morning. Just didn't take off like usual at all. Very slow with no visible action as usual. We were both in there temp wise,not sure what's up with that.

Added a heater to be room the carboy is in. Carboy temp now at 68. Starting to see stuff from on top and I think I saw a bubble... Happy dance!!

Just took my first FG reading after fermenting for 9 days. Reading was 1.012. Target is 1.015-1.018. Took my 1st taste. It had kinda sour taste. Not face pucker strong but just sour. It's also dark. Not "Blonde" like kit says. Could be do the fact of adding DME to early (see above) I'll wait take another reading in 2 days. Hoping for the best. Cheers, and don't forget to vote!!

image-2284452639.jpg

Do you still have visible fermentation activity? If it is sour tasting AND your gravity continues to drop you may home something to worry about.

wherestheyeast said:
Do you still have visible fermentation activity? If it is sour tasting AND your gravity continues to drop you may home something to worry about.

No, no bubbling and krausen is gone. I'll take another sample on Saturday. Thinking about taking a sample to my
LHBS to have them take a taste.

If your grav is the same let it sit for another week or two then bottle. Remember bottle with appropriate amount of sugar & let sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks; refrigerate for 3 days try one & report back.

wherestheyeast said:
If your grav is the same let it sit for another week or two then bottle. Remember bottle with appropriate amount of sugar & let sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks; refrigerate for 3 days try one & report back.

Kit included 5oz of priming sugar. Says to boil 2 cups of water for 5 min. Pour in to bottling bucket and siphon beer on top. The stir gently for a minute. Sound about right? Thanks!

Sounds right. Some people say stirring isn't necessary, but I've found carbonation to be more consistent bottle-to-bottle. If you do stir remember to sanitize the spoon!

I also cool the sugar solution before racking. Some people say it isn't necessary.

Try to report back after the beer had been bottled for a couple of weeks!

wherestheyeast said:
Sounds right. Some people say stirring isn't necessary, but I've found carbonation to be more consistent bottle-to-bottle. If you do stir remember to sanitize the spoon!

I also cool the sugar solution before racking. Some people say it isn't necessary.

Try to report back after the beer had been bottled for a couple of weeks!

I will report back for sure. Thanks for all the help! Picking up a 2nd fermenter and kit ASAP

Looks like I'm on track to bottle next weekend. Hopefully it'll turn out and I can bring some with for Christmas. Cheers!

Huh,007...Just watched Thunderball last night. Sean Connery,1965 with the DB5 that also re-appears in the new one just out. I guess now you need Q to come up with some fancy bottling gadgets...:tank:

unionrdr said:
Huh,007...Just watched Thunderball last night. Sean Connery,1965 with the DB5 that also re-appears in the new one just out. I guess now you need Q to come up with some fancy bottling gadgets...:tank:

Hed..Cheesehed. I have a license to brew. Well more like a learner's permit, with only 1 brew under my belt.. Cheers.

Just got done bottling. Ended up 2 bottles short of 2 cases. Thanks to everyone with all the help and encouragement. Time to crack a cold craft brew and relax for the night. Cheers!

image-2352962399.jpg

image-887025559.jpg

image-1880280235.jpg

I don't worry too much about the taste before it is carbonated. I have had a couple that weren't very good on bottling day and excellent when done.

I have also tried some that were not too good at 2 weeks bottle conditioning, good at 3 weeks and really good after 4 weeks and longer.

Back