forgotten skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
i made my skeeter pee about two months ago and after the first week I've kinda neglected it...looked today and it is crystal clear...

can i add the powders minus the clearing agent and back sweeten today? or should i add the powders and wait a week or two and then back sweeten?

i didn't know if the 2 week wait was just for the pee to clear or...?

thanks
Sean

Powders meaning the yeast energizer and nutrient?

Check its gravity. If it's completely fermented out (1.000ish or below) then it's ready for bottling.

Before you stabilize (I assume that's what you meant by "powders", you have to rack off of the sediment. Otherwise, fermentation will just restart.

To do that, dissolved the stabilizers in water (usually it's 1/2 teaspoon sorbate and one crushed campden tablet per gallon). Pour that into the receiving carboy and rack the wine into it. Wait three days, then sweeten to taste. Wait three more days (to ensure fermentation hasn't restarted) and then bottle.

I'd take a gravity. Rack to new container. If gravity was about 1.000 or lower, add the sugar and metabi sulfate and potasium sorbate. Mix together- particuarly the sugar.
take another Gravity reading Wait 2 weeks to be sure the sugar/fermentation/gravity stays the same. If it ferments again, wait until it stops taste sweeten repeat.

yeah sorry a little vague on my part...

i am going to rack and stabilize... (i was to lazy to look up chemicals names)

i was wondering if i need to wait to sweeten... i think I'll rack and sorbate today...then sweeten on thursday and then bottle the following weekend...

assuming no re fermentation has started and its dry today before i sorbate...

does this sound reasonable?

thanks
Sean

yeah sorry a little vague on my part...

i am going to rack and stabilize... (i was to lazy to look up chemicals names)

i was wondering if i need to wait to sweeten... i think I'll rack and sorbate today...then sweeten on thursday and then bottle the following weekend...

assuming no re fermentation has started and its dry today before i sorbate...

does this sound reasonable?

thanks
Sean

Yes, sounds perfect!

i racked and stabilized..my skeeter pee....starting gravity was 1.074 (i think) and tonight it was .990 .... tasted horrible though...I'm not an unsweet type of guy

i stabilized it Saturday night...I'll sweeten it...probably this Thursday and wait and see what happens!

did your pee clear? how long does it normally take to clear? I'm still degassing mine, lots and lots of foam still...gotta figure out how to hook up my foodsaver to get it to degass for me instead of the cordless drill whip type attachment, it just mixes up the sediment again each time...

Degass using Food Saver.... brilliant!

Now you got me thinking...

HAHAHA! I know right? I just found some others post on it and thought...wait a minute...I got one sitting on a shelf in the basement...just got to try to figure out a way to get the smaller hose to attach to my larger one for hooking up to the rubber stopper...I also saw yuri_rage's video, but I'm not sure how he was able to hook up the canister attachment to a hose to get that to work either...but...I'm sure I'll either find it thru searching or figure out my own way.

oh...another way I just found doing some searches...I have one of those wine saver pumps, where you put the stopper on your partially finished bottle of wine, and then pump on the top and you pump all the air out of it so it stays fresh...also pumps all the CO2 out of my 1G glass carboys too :rockin: giddy up!!!

I'm not sure how well it's going to work but, I bought a break bleeding tool for this task. It was 15 bucks and I need one for the shop anyway. I'll try it soon and report back.

You might look at the barbed fittings for plyable water line for an adapter/solution. That's my plan. I just hope I don't pull the stopper into the carboy. I might ziptie it to a stick or something before I start pullling on the wine too much..

Back