Great beers you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bells Two Hearted for me. I know it's an awesome beer, I just don't like it. Love everything else they do.

Let me guess, you're offended? I said american beer sucks, big whoop.

Let it go, dude. I'll give you a pat on the back for not being mainstream.

Just don't like the extreme bitterness that American brewers tend to put in everything.

But you said any American version of any style, so basically every beer in America. Not all American beers are over-hopped, and you are far from the only person who doesn't like over-hopped beers. I can barely take most IPA's.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot didn't appeal to me at all. I didn't dump it, but getting to the bottom of the glass wasn't easy.

Yuengling I've had all of them and well it's not something I would ever buy/order again same thing with Sweetwater IPA's there is just something missing

Wow... this thread is a little ridiculous. Or rather, a lot of responses made my jaw drop!

I hate when people make the sweeping judgement "I hate most everything that DFH puts out." Yeah, I liked modest mouse way before "Good news" came out.

That being said, I totally agree with this.
I got another one that's a little... blasphemous.

oskar_blues_ten_fidy.jpg

Way to raisiny.

Except with your comments about gordon. That is a helluva beer.

But you said any American version of any style, so basically every beer in America. Not all American beers are over-hopped, and you are far from the only person who doesn't like over-hopped beers. I can barely take most IPA's.

Maybe I was being a bit too broad and should clarify. I love hop flavor and aroma, I just don't like over the top bitterness, like American PA/IPA/Barley wine/Imperial stout. The British versions on the other hand are worlds better... in my opinion. I tend to prefer British/German/Trappist beers.

Sorry but I didn't like Moylan's Kiltlifter just not my style I like Scottish ales but not that one.

Southern Tier's Pumking and the Creme Brulee. They're just too much of everything too much nutmeg/pumpkin spice, too much caramely flavor - just too much.

I agree about the Southern Tier Choklat and Creme Brûlée. In my opinion a chocolate beer should a beer with some chocolate in it. Not alcoholic chocolate syrup.

JonM said:
Southern Tier's Pumking and the Creme Brulee. They're just too much of everything too much nutmeg/pumpkin spice, too much caramely flavor - just too much.

I agree, especially with the creme brulee. I find it completely disgusting. Like, 3 drinks and handed it back to the bartender kind of disgusting. I didn't complain to him about it and I still paid for it, I just couldn't handle it at all.

Btw, I love this thread. Its nice to see that not everyone likes the beers most people put on pedestals.

I don't like many big beers (my opinion), but I LOVE Ten Fidy!

If you don't like a style then you don't like the style. That's not the beers fault. I hate all fruity beer but I'm not going to pick one for this list. And I won't say I hate everything DFH makes but I have yet to have one that I like. That being said I'm putting Orval on the list. I'm sorry I just don't like it. It doesn't make me gag or anything but to me finishing one is a tough task.

Who talks about Fat Tire or Shiner Bock as great beers? I mean outside of people who think that is the limit of craft beer.

I think it's just because New Belgium and Shiner are some of the biggest and widest distributing micros, people assume they are supposed to be the best. But true, I don't think many "beer nerds" like us really consider anything of theirs to be truly exceptional. Same thing with Brooklyn brewery - I've never had one I would consider to be "bad", but I've never had anything of theirs that I would really care if I ever had again or not. Pretty whatever if you ask me.

Oddly enough, i was just blocks from Brooklyn Brewery at a sick BBQ place. Not sure what's available by you, but some of Brooklyn's specials are outstanding. They're Blanche de Brooklyn is hands down the best wit beer I've ever had by far.

Oddly enough, i was just blocks from Brooklyn Brewery at a sick BBQ place. Not sure what's available by you, but some of Brooklyn's specials are outstanding. They're Blanche de Brooklyn is hands down the best wit beer I've ever had by far.

Yeah, it's that way with a lot of breweries. The few that they widely distribute are whatever, but at their taproom they tend to have a lot more creative and interesting stuff. It's the same way with Bell's brewery here in Kalamazoo. A few pages back, someone mentioned not being particularly impressed with most of their distributed bottled offerings. And I somewhat agree, their standards like pale ale and best brown ale are nothing really special, but since I live close to the bar I get to try all the awesome stuff that never gets bottled. They have a barrel-aged brown on tap called "The Wild One" that is possibly my favorite sour beer ever. Recently they have had a golden rye ale that is also really good. A lot of times those of us who live close to a particular brewery and get to taste all the special beers that aren't distributed get a much better picture of what that brewery has to offer. Someone who lives farther away only gets to taste the few widely distributed beers, and a lot of times the bottles they get may be a bit older and less fresh.

Moose Drool is on my list was well. No thanks.

Half of the Boulevard Smokestack Series. Half are outstanding, the others, not so much. The Double Wide and the cherry bourbon barrel come straight to mind.

Deschutes, especially the Mirror Pond and Inversion IPA.

I have always regarded Mirror Pond as one of the better examples of the style. But then again, I'm biased as Deschutes was my first craft beer experience (Black Butte Poter) and still a perennial favorite of mine. Out of curiosity, where did you try it? It's very possible that we just have different tastes, but I wonder if something might have been lost in translation between Bend and Texas.

On Topic: I will never buy a Delirium Nocturnum again. I don't know if it's highly-regarded, but it reminds me of a Flintstone's chewable vitamin. Also, Fat Tire has never done it for me. Their 1554 kept me from completely writing off NB, which was good, as I have found more recent offerings to be very enjoyable (Ranger, Hoptober).

I think it's just because New Belgium and Shiner are some of the biggest and widest distributing micros, people assume they are supposed to be the best. But true, I don't think many "beer nerds" like us really consider anything of theirs to be truly exceptional.

1554 from New Belgium is one of my favorite beers of all time and one of the best beers I've ever tasted. If I could clone that stuff successfully it would account for most of what I brewed.

Sierra Nevada, haven't really enjoyed any of them I've had and I've gone back to the well on more than one occasion. I'm more of malt head and don't really have a taste for some of the American hops

Leffe Blonde. If stranded in the desert I would rather die of thirst than drink one of these.

Bud Lite Lime and Bud Lite Wheat. :cross: Honestly. I thought they were nasty. For some reason lots of people think a lime goes in beer. I've never understood this.

As for a more "Craft Beer" I would say New Holland Dragon's Milk. Had some at a Beer Festival and poured the remainder of it out. Just wasn't for me.

Sierra Nevada, haven't really enjoyed any of them I've had and I've gone back to the well on more than one occasion. I'm more of malt head and don't really have a taste for some of the American hops
I definitely know where you are coming from on the Sierra Nevada. I used to be able to drink a 6 six pack here and there when I lived in the midwest. After I moved out west, however, I tasted a much more malt forward and balanced beer. It would be my primary beer of choice now if I didn't have a stupid personal stigma of using the shorter bottles for bottling homebrew.

landshark said:
Bud Lite Lime and Bud Lite Wheat. :cross: Honestly. I thought they were nasty. For some reason lots of people think a lime goes in beer. I've never understood this.

As for a more "Craft Beer" I would say New Holland Dragon's Milk. Had some at a Beer Festival and poured the remainder of it out. Just wasn't for me.

Dragons milk...bleh...I had a bad week one night after a battle with the dragon...

I love every DFH except for Festina Peche. Yuck! One of only two beers that I have ever poured out.

The other was Butternuts Heinnieweisse. This was seriously the worst beer that I have ever had. I actually kept one in my fridge as a reminder. It has been sitting there for over four years.

Josh14025 said:
i couldn't finish a bottle of arrogant bastard if you paid me to drink it...

Why? I've seen several guys say this in this thread and just want to know your reason. I really like it.

maxam said:
Why? I've seen several guys say this in this thread and just want to know your reason. I really like it.

Bastard is one of my top beers. Def a regular buy. Then again I like almost all the beers that stone makes. I even like beers they make were I dislike the style. Just an awesome brewery.

i couldn't finish a bottle of arrogant bastard if you paid me to drink it...

Add me to this club. That beer is a little too..........everything. Malt flavors are strong and strange, almost astringent in a way. And their yeast also seems to give the flavor kind of an unpleasant "sharp" yeasty bite. The hop flavors are harsh, and it has a very strange aftertaste. It is very appropriate that the label includes the quote "you probably won't like it", because for a lot of people that is absolutely true.

AdamWiz said:
Add me to this club. That beer is a little too..........everything. Malt flavors are strong and strange, almost astringent in a way. And their yeast also seems to give the flavor kind of an unpleasant "sharp" yeasty bite. The hop flavors are harsh, and it has a very strange aftertaste. It is very appropriate that the label includes the quote "you probably won't like it", because for a lot of people that is absolutely true.

" you are not worthy" :)

I don't understand the sentiment of pouring something out or not being capable of being paid to drink a beer. I have preferences to be sure, but I will drink anything.

This is a pretty intense thread!

I wholeheartedly agree on DFH 120 minute. too cloying, to syrupy. just gross and overpriced. But I enjoy LOTS of other DFH beers.

I always tread lightly whenever NB comes out with something new. Fat Tire is so bleh, but so many of their specialty beers have been great. The Trip series has had some great surprises, although the southern hemisphere Trip was god awful.

People in the Seattle area cream all over themselves when they see Georgetown Manny's Pale Ale on tap, I think it's a WEAK version of the style and when I read an article about how the brewer's were "inspired" by SNPA I burst out laughing because I would take a pint of SNPA over Manny's ANY day. However, the Georgetown Porter (formerly known as 9# (Pronounced "nine-pound") Porter) is a FANTASTIC brew.

I hate magic hat. Period. Not only because it's bleh but also because they're litigious dicks. See above. Georgetown had to rename their beer because Magic Hat said it violated their copyright for Magic Hat #9 apricot pale ale. yeah, i always get confused between the two...

I don't like sour beers. I've tried some of what my sour beer friends say are "the best" and I don't like it. Although, it really weirds me out that something so gross DOES leave my mouth feeling cleansed and refreshed. Doesn't mean i like 'em, however.

It's very, very interesting that LOTS of the beers people list in this thread as not liking are some of my FAVORITES. Feel free to mail me any unopened SN Bigfoot, Ten Fidy, or Arrogant Bastard you have lying around.:mug:

PhelanKA7 said:
No. It makes zero sense to pour beer out. Man up and finish your beer you pantywaist!

+1 yes man up! I'd rather rip a page out of a bible than throw out beer.

Back