First Lagers - Questions of course...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I have three lagers going. 2 of which are in a fermentation chamber... one is sitting in my kegerator.

They all have been at a steady 50degF - it'll be three weeks since pitch this coming Wednesday, 9/29.

I'm thinking of turning the temp down to lagering temps. How's my timing?

I'll drop it 5deg a day over 4 days...
Day 1 - 50
Day 2 - 45
Day 3 - 40
Day 4 - 35

From here... what am I looking for? How long should I let it sit? 1 month? 3 months? A week? I've read a conflicting things on lagering and times/temps... so I figure I'd put it out there to the experts...

I heard a good tip on these forums. For every .01 in your OG, lager for 1 week. So, if you've got a lager that's at 1.060 for a starting gravity, then leave it for 6 weeks at 35. Of course, the longer the better in my opinion. I usually shoot for 3-4 months.

@Suthrncomfrt1884 Sounds like a good rule of thumb. I'll look into using that...

@boo boo Not sure - haven't tested them yet for butter off-flavors. Is there any of definitive test besides opening it up and sampling?

Hummm.. this looks interesting. I can diacetyl rest by bring it to room temp(cellar temp) for 24-48 hours.

This works out pretty well - due to the fact I overestimated the space in my remote fermentation chamber in my parents basement.

Since 2 of the lagers aren't in my place, and 1 is... I can relocate the 1 here to my parents house and have all 3 lagers sit at room temp for 24-48 hours -- transfer the entire contents of the primary of one to a different containment unit I can fit in the fermentation chamber with the other two beers in primary.

This gets them all in the same fermentation chamber -- freeing up my kegerator for my brews that will be ready soon - and lets me drop them all at the same increments @ 5degF a day in sync.

This would work out well... unless someone sees some foolishness here.

Checking for diacetyl is a good idea. Typically when your lager fermentation is 75% to estimated terminal gravity, you can taste a hydrometer sample, and see if you get a buttery flavor. If so, you will need to raise the temp up to 65 or so for the remainder of the fermentation (diacetyl rest).

As far as lagering time, I have found that 3 months is usually appropriate for most lagers.

If you will give it a diacetyl rest, there is no reason to step down the temp slowly afterwards. Just make sure everything is done and the sample tastes ok, then just crash it.

Back