Closed corny as a bright tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I have four gallons of pale ale that's been in my carboy for seven days. It started pretty light at an OG of 1.038. Checked last night and it's at 1.01, so I don't expect to get much more fermentation out of it. I will give it another three days or so and check again to make sure, however.

I am planning on racking to a corny keg and adding gelatin. I only have one gas disconnect at the moment and I'm using it to ferment 4 gallons that are behind the first four by five days in a second corny with a length of tubing attached and stuck into a bottle of Starsan as an airlock.

If I'm sure the APA is done, I'm assuming there's no harm in racking to a clean and sanitized corny, adding gelatin, and setting aside for another week sealed before bottling. Anything I'm missing?

I know, get more gas disconnects. That's not practical at the moment until I can take another trip to the LHBS.

I can't wait to get my kegging setup completed. Grrr.

That's what I figured. I mean, even if I "wake up" the yeasties and they decide to shoot for a 1.009 gravity, it ought to be able to hold the pressure.

One thing I've wondered is how do you know when you've purged the O2 and only have Co2 in the headspace? Pull the relief valve and sniff until what's coming out tingles? ;)

If it drops two points it will just be fully carbonated.

I just open the release valve a couple of times. It should work because the CO2 will be under the air and force it out.

I have dedicated a corny as a brite tank/secondary. I cut an inch and a half off of the diptube. I put 1/2 pack of gelatin in 4 oz H20 and heat in microwave until it reaches 160F. Then I dump that in the keg and rack from primary (actualy I push from a better bottle using CO2) into the keg. It goes into the keezer at 29-33F for 3 days and then gets pushed into a serving keg for carbonating. The shortened diptube leaves behind about 22oz of some nasty looking crud.

What did you use to cut the dip tube? I am thinking of just bending it up a bit with a screwdriver so i can restore it later, if i want. Man, I need to get my keezer set up so i can cold crash stuff. Haha

I used a tubing cutter I had for cutting copper pipe. If I had to do again I would put a bend in the whole tube so that I could restore it later. But, I'm up to 18 kegs now so I can take the loss!

Edit: yes, keezer is awsome. I wanted clear beer so I chose kegs so that I could push between kegs using a filter. But with gelatin and cold crashing, a filter is not needed.

Latest posts

Back