Mash Profile in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
Okay, slowly but surely I am beginning to understand Beersmith. (My fault, not the software).
I am trying to input that I will be Batch Sparging with 2 equal batches but it doesnt look right on the Preview Sheet.

Here is my Mash Profile....any suggestions?
Thanks......
mash-prof2.jpg

You don't need to add your sparges in the mash steps. Here's my Mash config for a Single Infusion, Double Batch sparge in BeerSmith. I then copied this and changed temp for 149, 150, 152, 154, 156, and 158. Then the brewsheet has two equal sparges.

mash_profile.jpg

Thanks MMB, that did the trick!!
Preview sheet is reflecting the double sparge and now I can see how changing the % Mash Tun Volume alters the number of sparges.
Which leads to the next round of questions.... :)

I use a 10gal cooler for MT. I fill it (3/4) with hot water in my shower and let it sit for an hour prior to Mash In. I am assuming the temperature of the MT after I drain that water is the temperature that should be entered in Beersmith for "Mashtun Temperature". I have estimated it to be around 95 degrees but really don't know.
How important is this?
Does it only affect the strike temperature needed for Mash in?
What's the best way to determine this temperature?

Also, I use a digital therm with a probe. Is it suitable to use this to guage the temperature of my grain?

Thanks again for the Sparge tip!!!

On the recipe screen there is an check box "Adjust Temperature for Equipment." When you check that you don't need to preheat the tun, but your tun should be at the "Mash Tun Temperature" in the Mash profile.

I've adjusted that "Mash Tun Temperature" to be the temp of the area I store my MLT at. I've only missed mash temp once because I stored the tun 30*F cooler than the temp setting in the Mash profile. Gonna have a fairly dry American Wheat. :(

On the recipe screen there is an check box "Adjust Temperature for Equipment." When you check that you don't need to preheat the tun, but your tun should be at the "Mash Tun Temperature" in the Mash profile.

I've adjusted that "Mash Tun Temperature" to be the temp of the area I store my MLT at. I've only missed mash temp once because I stored the tun 30*F cooler than the temp setting in the Mash profile. Gonna have a fairly dry American Wheat. :(

I do have that checked. I will measure the temp of the water I am preheating my tun with and drop it a bit. Then add that temp as my tun temp.

So far I am blown away by Beersmith.
Thanks for the info!

Back