Shiner Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
Why didn't someone warn me?

It tasted like someone opened up a can of Miller Genuine Draft, brought it to a boil, added some table sugar and infected yeast then stuck it back in the bottle.

<First sip

<Knowing I have to finish the sixer off

Well, it's probably pretty old by the time it gets up to WI. Shiner is one of those beers where you have to drink it within a certain "window". It goes skunky quickly, IMO.

I had a couple draught's the other night at Saltgrass for dinner. mmm, mmm good...

I have always thought Shiner was pretty good. Plus the Shiner Bock bread served with dinner is excellent as well.

An update:

The next day Loose Stool Lucy came for a visit. Either the beer doesn't transport well or something.

www.ratebeer.com has a pretty low rating as well.

Hmm, well Leinenkugel's Bock is very tasty. New Glarus has their Uff-Da Bock, but that is more german than american...still, a very tasty bock.

well I can tell you that the ****s go hand in hand with Shiner bock and it doesn't travel well I have had it at there brewery and in San Antonio and Ks. It taste diffrent in every location.

The stuff we get in Nebraska tastes ok, but I would agree that it tastes best in Texas. Love it with brisket.

Exo said:

It tasted like someone opened up a can of Miller Genuine Draft, brought it to a boil, added some table sugar and infected yeast then stuck it back in the bottle.

<First sip

I don't think it's that bad, but I'm definitely no fan. It's BMC, only slightly maltier. It's a good river beer though, since you can't take glass and we can't get Oskar Blues beer here. Like I said, it is slightly maltier. I'd say I get it just about as fresh as Texas does. And I have drank quite a bit of it.

Exo said:
An update:

The next day Loose Stool Lucy came for a visit. Either the beer doesn't transport well or something.

www.ratebeer.com has a pretty low rating as well.
It is amazing that you can equate your digestive problems with the Shiner Bock. Couldn't there have been something else that caused it???

I've had Shiner Bock here in Colorado and I really liked it.

Well, when you drink one and it taste's like crap...then sits in yer belly hurtin...then you can kinda feel it passing on down the tract...well...yea...it was the bier.

If I get to Texas I'll give it another go...could have been an old-ass six-pack shipped via frieght during summer heat. I blame it on the frieght and not the brewery.

Exo said:

<First sip

Hey Hey Hey, What's wrong with MGD?

Well, for one it tastes like piss...for two it...well, I can't get past the taste of piss!

Back