Automation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noogle

Reaction score
Hi i'm moving into more advanced system and I recently started building an "automatic brewing system". I want it to be PC controled however i havn't found any already made software that would be about to control the system. Does any one know of free software or even software that can be purchased that can be interfaced to work. I'm do not know how to write programes and would like any information to help me out i would appreciate it.

Thanks

lol... automatic brew system??? I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that homebrewtalk isnt gonna be a resource. That sounds like a custom app... especially seeing as though its going to be interfacing with machines.

What different systems are going to be automated? I'm not gonna be any help with actually getting it done, but its sure as hell interesting!! :)

Your talking about needing an automation controller and more than likely ladder logic programming experience and various other do-dads that get wired into I/O modules that are part of the controller. All depends on what you want to make automatic of course. Could be fun but pricey and takes some skill. I used to be in that business...

What's your vision? I'd assume this to be all grain?

I'm pretty sure you're looking at big bucks. I did a bit of research into programmable logic controllers (PLC) and found that the cost is way beyond the scope of my setup. There was a guy who built a wicked system with one, but his boss donated the PLC. I can't find the link right now but when I do I'll send it to you.
Google PC controlled instrumentation and see where you get.

PS Shame on you sloop! HBT knows very little about everything and everything about very little!

baaahhh.... Its like a rube goldberg, but with machine code. Write 500 lines of code to open a valve when wort reached a certian temperature. Thats why im an network engineer, not a software engineer :)

nah, two lines of ladder logic (a pretty intuitive / visual language) and a branch would open that solenoid/valve for ya based on temp sensor value. But then we need to add flow rate sensors, ignitors, float switches, pumps to move h2o/wort, motor to stir grist, solenoid/valves to turn on/off gas & h20 and more temp sensors in each phase. A PC to program the controller and an MMI app to control the system.

It'd be a fun project if I still worked for Rockwell Automation where all the "goods" were readily available. It's buying all the industrial gadgetry that's going to set you back.

Here's a link to someone who had this thought as well. The guy at the end was the one with a knowledgable response. All really depends on what "automation" means to you of course.

http://www.control.com/1026213298/index_html

Back