Beer in my primary too long - repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches of beer, last month I didnt rack to a secondary, figured I can just keep it in the primary just a bit longer. Bottled a batch last week (6 weeks old?) still no carbonation yet about 6 days later, might be right but not sure.

The 2nd batch has now been sitting for almost 8 weeksin the fermenter, should I repitch yeast.

My last batch was not as carbonated as I wanted it to be it also was in the primary for a longer period of time, I begining to wonder if I'm leaving it in there way too long.

8 weeks is pushing it mate. you still shouldn't need to repitch yeasties after 6-8 weeks. one week in bottle is not long enough. try two or three. what temps are you bottle conditioning at?

still no carbonation yet about 6 days later, might be right but not sure.

OH How I hope Revvy breaks out a nice "Hot Chick With A Gun!"

Seriously though...Don't be a Beer Pedophile! You're doing great at leaving it in Primary long enough...but Come On...Give it 21 days to carb...Maybe Longer cause you did such a good job of waiting.

Bottles are conditioning at 70F.

I think its been in fermenter now for 46 days, with Wyeast Weiss (and a starter).

how much priming sugar are you using? My first few batched I used a full cup, then scaled back to three quarters. I noticed those took longer to carb, so now I use almost a full cup of corn sugar to prime my bottles. Two, three weeks tops and they're fizzy enough for me. Still green, but better than store bought!

I dont remember the exact amount of sugar used, I dont have beersmith infront of me now but I used enough for it to be at the higher end of the carbonation for that style.

So I didnt get a chance to bottle the beers this weekend. I'm going to have to repitch yeast for this batch in the carboy. I've never done it before I'm sure its pretty straight forward, I think I'm going to head to the LLS and get a bottle of some good German Weiss and try to culture the yeast from that into a starter for my repitch.

Any thoughts on that plan?

I'd just get a package of cheap dry yeast, and use 1/4 package of that and mix it in with the dissolved priming solution (after it's cooled, of course). The yeast used for carbonating will not leave behind any flavor profile- the beer has been done for ages!

can you actually leave a beer in the primary TOO long to be able to self carbonate ??

Yes, but it takes months. Typically you'd only need to re-pitch if it was a big ass barleywine, or a lager that was bulk aged 6 months in the cold.

Even then, you'll find guys on here that waited 6 months, bottled, and had carbonation after 4 weeks without re-pitching.

Yes, but it takes months. Typically you'd only need to re-pitch if it was a big ass barleywine, or a lager that was bulk aged 6 months in the cold.

Even then, you'll find guys on here that waited 6 months, bottled, and had carbonation after 4 weeks without re-pitching.

I keg my beer anyway.... so does it matter at all ?? whats the point of a secondary if I just use a filter when I rack to my keg ?

Due to an injury, I ended up with a batch sitting in the primary for about 2 months and 1 week. I decided to bottle after purging some of the gas through the airlock and it smelled great (pressed on the lid and the airlock bubbled). I went ahead and bottled normally with 1 cup of dextrose for priming. The result was excellent. After a week of bottle conditioning, the carbonation was perfect. I used safale05 dry yeast in the beginning without pitching any more. I'd have to say the yeast may have just gone dormant or slowed down their metabolism. The temp of the fermentation was around 67 degrees. I would have to say that if you have some beer sitting in a primary for a few months, it may be salvagable. Like the saying goes - "If it smells good, bottle it!!!"

I just bottled a batch that I brewed in August and sat in my primary till last Friday. Mid April I will let you know how it came out.

It was a Pale Ale with S.G of about 1.055

I'd just get a package of cheap dry yeast, and use 1/4 package of that and mix it in with the dissolved priming solution (after it's cooled, of course). The yeast used for carbonating will not leave behind any flavor profile- the beer has been done for ages!

Seconded. A couple of dollars for dry yeast is cheap insurance against a flat batch of beer.

zombie-thread.png

Back