New 'diet' ginger ale expirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
We use Splenda to sweeten our iced tea at home. So I decided to use it to sweeten some ginger ale.

Recipe:
3 small hands ginger, peeled and chopped small
3 cinammon sticks broke into one inch pieces
1 nutmeg nut, quartered.

All simmered in one gallon water for 30 minutes.

Topped water to one gallon and added 18 indivudual packs of Splenda.

Pitched rehydrated champagne yeast.

Bottled 1/2 gallon into three 20 ounce bottles

Added 12 grams sugar to the other 1/2 gallon and bottled in three 20 ounce soda bottles.

Will report back in in a week or two and say how carbonation went. Uncarbonated taste was enjoyed by all. It was obviously sweetened with Splenda, but tasted nice.

I've read different accounts as to whether or not Splenda is partially fermentable. I figure this experiment will yield drinkable results that answer the question.

im new to soda making. I was planing on making ginger beer using pure sucralose from amazon and force carbing in a corny keg.

The ones with sugar seem to have carbed fine.
The ones with Splenda only do not seem to have carbed at all.

They are all in the fridge now, none have been opened yet.
Will report back after one of each is opened this weekend.

The splenda in the packets uses a partially fermentable anti-clumping agent. The bulk splenda is not fermentable at all.

As far as I know, splenda is not something the yeast will consume. I would add just a little bit of corn sugar to the bottles with splenda and allow them to carb for 24-48 hours before putting in the fridge.

Yeast can't work with Splenda alone. You'd need to force carb or add some sugar just for carbonation.

The Splenda alone did not carb at all.
The Splenda with priming sugar carbed perfectly.

Back