Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify, only added dextrose.

Next time, I'll add 3 lbs to 6 gallons and up the FAJC to 4 and increase the cinnamon extract to 3/4 tsp and vanilla to 1/2. This stuff goes down so smooth, theres lots of room for experimentation lol

I made this back in April and four days after bottling it I stove top pasteurized it. 190 degree water for 10 minutes. Now three months later it seems to be over carbonated. I stored it in a closet around 70-72 degrees. Anybody have this happen before or know what I did wrong other then not drink it fast enough?

I made this back in April and four days after bottling it I stove top pasteurized it. 190 degree water for 10 minutes. Now three months later it seems to be over carbonated. I stored it in a closet around 70-72 degrees. Anybody have this happen before or know what I did wrong other then not drink it fast enough?

You're not alone. I had the same issue a couple times. Toss in a fridge if possible - I didn't run into bottle bombs with them but they took forever to let go of their carbonation...I had to open bottles over the course of 15 minutes in a couple cases with slight releases of pressure.

If it's possible, you might try getting a large glass (not sure what size bottles you have) and working extremely fast, pop the cap, and immediately tilt/pour - not dump - i.e. let air get into the bottle while you pour. That technique is the only one I have found where I can save the product as it seems to provide a little more space for the beverage to release it's.....pent up aggression.

I've had that, but only when I'm close to gushers when I pasteurize. I figure there's some variation in carb level after backsweetening depending on what I use and how well it mixes or settles. No post-pasteurization bombs though, ever. I just pasteurized in the dishwasher for the first time a couple weeks ago. 2+ hours of high temp / sanitize mode. No bombs or gushers yet.

I've had that, but only when I'm close to gushers when I pasteurize. I figure there's some variation in carb level after backsweetening depending on what I use and how well it mixes or settles. No post-pasteurization bombs though, ever. I just pasteurized in the dishwasher for the first time a couple weeks ago. 2+ hours of high temp / sanitize mode. No bombs or gushers yet.

+ many. This is the only way I pasteurize now.

So instead of soaking the bottles in a hot water batch you stick them all in the dishwasher and just run it without soap? That's a great idea!

Run it without soap and use the SANITIZE mode, or HIGH TEMP. It's a little interesting getting that many bottles to fit, many of them leaning or on their sides, and it really weighs down the rack. I was a little worried, but it worked out fine. I didn't use the HEATED DRY mode; didn't want to heat the bottles dry; not sure why. I figured 2+ hours of hot water would probably do the trick. I finally chickened out on the hot pot method after a few bombs, even though one batch had no bombs. I had one go off in my hand. Fortunately it was in the pot, under water and I didn't catch any glass or too much hot water. I admit, I had some pre-pasteurization gushers in that batch; it carbed in 2 days! I also had a bomb blow the lid off my pot even with a 5 lb weight on it! It dented the inside of my pot and lid! I got scared that one could go off in my hand above the pot in front of me and fill my face or chest with glass shards. I used the plastic soda bottle method to judge carb level, but even with that and opening a glass bottle each day the carbing was still too unpredictable. So into the dishwasher they went. So far so good. OH, I also ran it in the evening and let them cool overnight with the dishwasher door open slightly.

Just did a batch today using one and a half pounds brown sugar instead of 2 pounds dextrose and I'm gonna use cinnamon extract this time and keg it can't wait to try it

Quick question/problem....

I kegged my cider up on Tuesday and put it in my kegerator. On Wednesday I put the gas on it at 30 psi... Checked at lunch time today and still no carbonation. Anyone else have this issue or does cider take longer to carb?

My normal process is 30 psi for a day or two and then drop down to 12 psi and let it sit and by a few days it at least has some signs of carbonation...

Any thoughts? Wanted to serve it tomorrow for a birthday party... If all else fails, I can call it a "still" cider...

JonGrafto said:
Quick question/problem....

I kegged my cider up on Tuesday and put it in my kegerator. On Wednesday I put the gas on it at 30 psi... Checked at lunch time today and still no carbonation. Anyone else have this issue or does cider take longer to carb?

My normal process is 30 psi for a day or two and then drop down to 12 psi and let it sit and by a few days it at least has some signs of carbonation...

Any thoughts? Wanted to serve it tomorrow for a birthday party... If all else fails, I can call it a "still" cider...

I have found that cider takes longer to force carb, for some reason. Don't know why. I'm surprised that you have no carbonation, though. I'd bump of the gas to 40 or 50psi. I have found that it is nearly impossible to over carb cider. I like my cider cold and very carbonated, so when I tap it, I'll get a lot of foam initially. But it is not like beer foam. It disappears quickly and you're left with a very bubbly beverage, a bit like champagne. Don't think you can mess it up by bumping up the psi.

jmadway said:
I have found that cider takes longer to force carb, for some reason. Don't know why. I'm surprised that you have no carbonation, though. I'd bump of the gas to 40 or 50psi. I have found that it is nearly impossible to over carb cider. I like my cider cold and very carbonated, so when I tap it, I'll get a lot of foam initially. But it is not like beer foam. It disappears quickly and you're left with a very bubbly beverage, a bit like champagne. Don't think you can mess it up by bumping up the psi.

I left the psi at 30 but did the shake method for 10 mins. Got it carbed up before the party yesterday. Although someone was comparing it to Redds apple Ale just not as "appley".

UpstateMike, I used 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon extract with 3 can FAJC. Came out real nice! Btw, what page is the updated recipe on, for the newbies lol?

Page 42 - Post #420

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/index42.html

I too just made this a few weeks back. Walmart had some caramel extract so I added that as well. Turned out pretty decent. I am looking for a way to get a little more apple flavor but without the sweetness. I thought about apple extract but I dont want it to be "fake" tasting.

Any thoughts on this UpstateMike?

Pitched the yeast yesterday, so excited for the outcome.
Here's hoping it'll be good enough to convince wife to let me get another carboy dedicated to this stuff :mug:

I am looking for a way to get a little more apple flavor but without the sweetness. I thought about apple extract but I dont want it to be "fake" tasting.

Any thoughts on this UpstateMike?

If you are looking for more of an apple "bite", like a Granny Smith, I'd say add some malic acid to the bottling bucket. If just more apple taste, perhaps some straight apple juice / cider on the bottling bucket

Been lurking this thread for a while and just put together my first batch of this last Sunday. I forgot to take a gravity reading, but I used 5 gallons of juice with 2 pounds of corn sugar. Any guesses on what my OG might have been?

Been lurking this thread for a while and just put together my first batch of this last Sunday. I forgot to take a gravity reading, but I used 5 gallons of juice with 2 pounds of corn sugar. Any guesses on what my OG might have been?

Mine came out at 1.061. Apple juice only was 1.051.

Sounds like I'm just going to work on the assumption that I started around 1.062. Thanks for the info guys!

Table sugar is sucrose, which is glucose attached to fructose. Like:

Glucose-Fructose

Dextrose is just another name for plain Glucose.

So, dextrose and glucose are interchangeable in this recipe? It'd be great if it was as I have a big bucket of glucose powder that I purchased for gelato.

I'm considering crushin a lb of biscuit malt, and doing a BIAB mash and sparge in a small cooler. Should produce bout 2 qts after a 60 min boil stovetop. Then cool and rack to a carboy and build this recipe on top with 4 1/2 gallons of apple juice/2 lbs dextrose and Nottingham. Looking to add the pie crust flavor to this caramel apple pie hard cider. Should give some nutirition to the yeast and would make this a true "apple ale". Thoughts??

What about using brown sugar instead of dextrose? For an applie pie kinda flavor?
I was actually thinking the same thing, maybe even caramelize the brown sugar, and then dump with the apple juice to primary ferment.

Then caramelize more brown sugar and use as priming sugar along with the frozen apple juice concentrate.

Whew! Just finished reading this entire thread. Good stuff. Took a few days of reading here and there.

I saw where other folks opted to use wine yeast. Seems like the general consensus was doing so would impart a more wine like quality. So a quick question for those who have used wine or champagne yeast and let it run until dry. How'd it turn out? Not real sure what "wine like qualities" would be like in an apple pie flavored beverage!

I originally started out making a batch of apfelwein, but when I saw this recipe and realized I could have something drinkable much sooner I thought I might change direction.

I'm currently 3 weeks in on fermentation using Montrachet yeast and nutrient. Not sure what the current gravity is because up to now my intention was to let it run its course. But I think it should be done fermenting (dry) by this point, or around .992 to .996.

Turns out that what I have IS labeled dextrose. I have been doing small batch brewing, one gallon at a time, so I have to get the equipment for 5 gallons but I can't wait to try this!

Back