What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just doughed in a 5.5 gallon batch of Biermuncher's cream of 3 crops ale. This is the first of 2 AG brews I'll be doing today. Next is an Oatmeal stout that will be aged with Vanilla and cacao nibs.

washed some 1968, cleaned two better bottles and my new 13 gallon milk can, and fiddled with the pid logic on my arduino controlled RIMS tube.

1968 is nearly impossible to wash, it just immediately clumps and sinks to the bottom, do you have any advice on that?

Got my dark lager bottled today. 65 12oz bottles from 6 gallons. Nice & clear too. Finally havin some of my Hopped & Confused pseudo lager,version1. Def need a jar bigger than 1 quart to wash yeast in.

Pumped co2 into secondary with the dry hops. My first time trying this.

ForumRunner_20130317_154541.png

Finally racked my pale ale to the secondary at 8 days ferm, and dry hopped 10 roasted Serrano peppers for the next 10-12 days prior to bottling. It's good tasting stuff now so should be great with heat!

image-2607766644.jpg

Tested the numbers for a new 10 gallon pot. Weld less fitting secure, 1.5 gallon loss during a 60 minute boil, less than a pint left in the kettle after draining, and 200f to 65f in less than 5 minutes with an immersion chiller and great winter ground water temps. Ready to brew next weekend.

Stepped up some bottle harvested pacman. It was more of an excuse to test out the new refractometer that came in the mail yesterday.

Crashed a friend's brewing session, contributed absolutely nothing besides helping out with some clean-up, and ended up leaving with a growler of his Irish red ale.

I built a couple raised bed planters for my hops. Starting a new garden, in a different spot of the yard, to see which plants do best and where. This included a trip down to home depot. Even picked up a 10 gal. cooler to build a mash tun! :rockin:

Dump bad beer from serving vessel
Clean and sanitize serving vessel
Harvest yeast
Transfer SMaSH to serving vessel
Clean fermenter
Update brewlog

bought ingrediants for my belgian wit im brewing up tomorrow... always a fun time buying beer stuff!

Checked the FG of my two week-old batch of Yooper's Ruination clone (1.012) and added two ounces of Centennial hops to dry hop. Removed blow off tubes from my week-old IPA fermentors and replaced them with air locks. Also removed the buckets from swamp coolers (62F water) where they have been slowly and happily fermenting along.

Racked my Belgian Tripel to secondary for bulk aging. Kegged a Porter, Dunkel, and Rosemary Rye. Cleaned one 6.5 gallon carboy, three 5 gallon carboys, and re-cleaned three 6.5 gallon buckets.

Purchased a bag of bottle caps and a vial of edinbrough yeast... Bottling two batches tomorrow... And making starter for said yeast for a wee heavy

Got a 48 qt cooler prepped to convert to a mash tun. Sanitized bottles to get ready for my pepper ale.

Bottled Mexican cervesa, helped a friend bottle his first batch, caribou slobber. Got ibrewmaster for the ipad for a trial run. Got 2 new hydrometers, and some champagne yeast for a hard lemonade ( obviously stocking up for summer for the wife).

Bottled a one gallon batch of Ed wort's apfelwein and brewed a honey amber ale. Although I did use extract with steeping grains, it's the first batch I've made that wasn't from a kit. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Bought a sack of organic 2 row, stepped up a starter of 3522 to 3 liters for a tripel, hung out at the brew shop and had a few beers.

I was traveling through Indiana today (Sunday) and decided to find a liquor store for some Three Floyd's brews. The first liquor store I stopped at was closed. I went to a small grocery store, and a sign there said, "No alcohol sales on Sunday." WTF! The manager told me it is a state law in Indiana. My 14 year old son said to him, "That is stupid law." The manager agreed!

Swarley88 said:
Stores as in liquor stores by the way.

Liquor stores are open on Sundays in Wisconsin and grocery stores can sell alcohol on Sundays. What's wrong will selling alcohol on Sundays? I don't understand.

Just finished my third pint of my HB'ed milk stout. Now, I'm off to bed so I can get up at stupid O'clock to go back to work.

Liquor stores are open on Sundays in Wisconsin and grocery stores can sell alcohol on Sundays. What's wrong will selling alcohol on Sundays? I don't understand.

Interesting, I don't think there is anything wrong with selling booze on Sunday :). In Minnesota we can't really buy booze in grocery stores (its 3.2 and BMC) and we can't buy at liquor stores on Sundays either. I always heard it had something to do with it being "Gods day" hahha. I don't agree with it, just a little jealous of other states being able to buy at grocery stores and on Sundays.

No such limitations here in Alaska! I think they actually encourage purchase and consumption on Sundays. :)

I spent part of the afternoon working up a nut brown recipe for tomorrow's brew day. It's been forever since I last brewed! Well, according to my brew log it's been exactly a month tomorrow. Definitely feels like forever.

Back