Beer Software Wishlist - What's on yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brewer

Reaction score
I know folks have their individual preferences as to software, but I was wondering if there was something out there that we all could use, i.e. something that is simply missing on the beer software landscape.

I partly ask because programming is a bit of a hobby for me and I am looking for an interesting project to take up. Rather than just do something for the sake of doing something, I'd like to do something that folks might actually use, that people might get behind, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I dunno.... sure promash's interface is a little dated, but it still does what I need it to do, 'course, I'm still just starting out with all-grain, and am still using other peoples recipes. At least it still runs on my 'puter after I upgraded the operating system to XP, unlike my DVD player software, MP3 player's software, ect.

Maybe instead of upgrading Promash ( and charging the same or more for it), they could slash the price of it.....wouldn't exactly help me as I already own it, but I wonder how many others would bite if the price was lower.

Allan

Yeah, I wish they would update Promash as well. I like how you can adjust a recipe in a brewing session without changing the master recipe.
Also wish it had a better inventory program with cost basis built in. I would really like to track my recipe costs.

Other than that, the only other thing it could do for me is to get up and stir the mash. :)

Boston Brewer said:
I know folks have their individual preferences as to software, but I was wondering if there was something out there that we all could use, i.e. something that is simply missing on the beer software landscape.

A Free Software brewing suite. Currently there's QBrew but that is more of a recipe organizer with some calculators than an actual brewing suite.

Boston Brewer said:
I partly ask because programming is a bit of a hobby for me and I am looking for an interesting project to take up.

Mine too thought my background in programming is web-based. I've been a bit "miffed" by the lack of a Free Software (Free-as-in-freedom) suite that can do more than just store recipes. How about mash water temps? What about sparge volume? Tell me what I can brew with my current stock of stuff. So, I've been quietly trying to teach myself C++ and in specific the QT4 toolkit.

Boston Brewer said:
I'd like to do something that folks might actually use, that people might get behind

I'm a GNU/Linux user. I know two things about software. Firstly, it's possible for people to build a STRONG, vibrant community around software. The second thing I've learned about software: It's almost impossible to make a tools that everyone wants to use.

Boston Brewer said:
Anyone have any ideas?

Yep. :) Download the source to qbrew here and get to hacking!

Back