Lager vs. Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmike1968

Reaction score
My co-brewer wants to make a porter with a lager yeast. All of the porter recipes I've seen call for an ale yeast. Can we easily switch the yeast without worrying about it "messing up" the beer?

Baltic porters are usually made with lager yeast, you should get your hands on one and see if you like it. Yes, you can switch the yeast, use something clean like Cal ale or German ale.

I've made a porter as a lager already and it turned out great. Follow a normal lager schedule (cold ferment, then lager even colder). I used Wyeast 2308, but you could use any lager yeast. I actually like a 'lager' porter better. I have also made a Baltic Porter and that turned out great too. Nice malty beer with an added kick of more alcohol.

A porter using a lager yeast is not all that unusual. Look into Schwartzbiers. Not exactly the same thing, the huskless grains change the flavor a bit.

Back