home brewing start-up kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler-John

Reaction score
I am looking at a start-up kit from morebeer and it has a spigot on the fermentor. Is that a good idea or should I be looking for one with a siphon? If it is siphon should I go with a automatic Siphon? Also would it be better for me to get a better bottle as the primary fermentor? One last thing. Should I get a secondary fermentor for if I want to make a stout? I heard a secondary fermentor helps for the darker beers. Correct me if I am wrong.

The spigot is for use as a bottling bucket, personally I would recommend getting one of the kits with 2 buckets, one for fermentation and one for bottling.

I would definitely suggest getting an autosiphon.

Secondary is good for clearing beers and bulk aging. I would suggest making a few brews without a secondary so you can become comfortable with the process, then, if you want, picking up a carboy for secondary in the future.

and to add, you don't need to secondary a stout really. secondary helps a beer clear up...a stout is so dark you don't have to worry as much about the clarity.

same for a hefeweizen...they should be cloudy. so you can hold off on a carboy for secondary until you have a couple brews under your belt and are certain you wish to continue into this madness...I mean hobby ;)

Back