ABV Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
So I Just racked my batch from 1/8/12. O.G. was 1.115 and my f.g. is now 1.046. It tastes great! I mean samples well... :D

Anyhow, I was curious if my calculations are correct that I ended up with ABV of around 9.2%.

Thank you in advance!

Well I'd consider that a stuck ferment!

D47 is good for 14%, plus with that amount of residual sugar, unless you cold crashed and stabilised it, there's lots of room for refermentation starting and resulting bottle bombs, if not sorted our.....

I'd add some boiled bread yeast (a sachet in 100mls simmered for 5mins then cooled) and aerate it. Just because its been racked, doesn't mean there's no yeast left in it. Oh, and as you used D47, keep it below 70F.

Then leave it for a few days, checking gravity progress.

For my Cyser I used a few packets of re-hydrated D47 and I got it up to (depending on which ABV calculation you use) to 15.5 or 18.1.

D47 is a tank, it crushed what I was shooting for (14%).

If you really like how it tastes already why mess with it, leave it be to bulk age for awhile, rack it again as needed, eventually all of the yeast will be used up and cleared out, just don't rush to bottle it for awhile so you don't risk the chance of restarting fermentation and mead claymores

For my Cyser I used a few packets of re-hydrated D47 and I got it up to (depending on which ABV calculation you use) to 15.5 or 18.1.

D47 is a tank, it crushed what I was shooting for (14%).
Yeah, I have an acerglyn going with D47 and it's gone to 14.5% so far and still cranking away, albeit slowly.

Well it is a little syrupy. So I will try the rehydrayed bread yeast. It's just over two gallons. Should I repitch the yeast too?

So, I used boiled bread yeast and poured it into the stuck ferment, added a bit of nutrient, and aerated the hell out of it. Now, how will I be able to tell if it worked? Rather is there any way to tell it worked other than taking samples constantly?

Ummmm......

Did I do something wrong by aerating a partially fermented mead? Wouldn't that oxidize the alcohol that's in there already? Should I be concerned? OR is it necessary to restart the yeasties...

I probably wouldn't have done it, but like he said what's done is done. Chances are nothing bad will happen. I mean I open mine up and smell it and sample periodically.

Back